From my last blog post, my wife and I were sharing a position at 2 churches which were partnered together. One of the two started a process to terminate our employment so we resigned to avoid all the hassles that would have followed. The other church, which wasn’t involved or kept informed of what was happening is offering which ever of us can stay the solo position which would be half time. My wife and I were the last of three pastors to hold the position that this church could stand alone if it needed or wanted to, since they’ve chosen to make the leap of faith, we’ve decided to stay with them and pray for the best. This does mean I’m turning down a full time, better paying job elsewhere, but I feel that this is the right move.
Thus begins the 20k dollar budget remodel.
Right now we’re living too far from the church in Rochester, and need to move closer, so we’ve been offered this house.
Although extremely rough on the outside the inside isn’t even a quarter as bad, all of it needs work but with a new outside, new bath and new kitchen it will be inhabitable and put us 30 minutes closer to the church.
So off I go. The closest corner in the picture is the worst looking of them so I decided that would be the place to start with a new door, 2 days later the door still isn’t in, here’s hoping for Sun after church.
First step was getting new doors, so off to craigslist I went; a local lumber dealer had been making their own doors but were stopping production and blowing out their left over inventory. The result was 3 doors for 700.00, could have gotten cheaper at Lowes I know but 2 of them look like this with full length windows, the third has 2 frosted glass windows. I wanted to get a sidelight to match for the front but they didn’t have any in stock as a part of their blowout and my budget won’t cover the 620.00 they quoted for them to order one.
I pulled off all the trim inside and promptly discovered that the two studs failed to actually connect to the sill plate, both sides had rotted out where they touch the sill. The sill its self was no better and removal required the use of the claw side of the hammer just scraping the wood. At this point I had to stop, I’d made the erroneous assumption that my dad had a bunch of extension cords in his barn that I would be able to use to run the sawzall, turns out he had one and with no power I was done for the day. Just made a trip to the lumber mill for a sheet of ply, a pressure treated 2×6 and some standard 2×6s.
Back again today. New sill plates were installed with .5” shims added beneath the floor joists to make up the difference in board dimensions. The joists all sit firmly on the foundation so I’m not too worried about shimming and the 3.5” nails were more then long enough to go through the shim and into the new sills. Where the new ones stop in the picture is exactly where the old ones stopped so no special cutting done to make them fit. The whole removed section of wall was rotted, to remove it I simply cut up the left side of the door jam with the sawzall, grabbed the right side and pulled and that entire section came down. The corner joist is completely rotted and filled with carpenter bees, some of which were still alive. That’ll have to be dealt with soon. As you can see, new joists were installed, these had to be cut from 2×6s to get a joist that matched the old one; I did recycle the left side joist which was only rotted on the bottom 3 inches and you can see it in the pic as the dirty board on the right side. Time ran out so a sheet of 3/4 ply was put up around the door frame, the old door loosely nailed in and tyvex covers most of it which should hold till sun.
Enough siding to cover this area has been ordered but won’t show till just after the 1st. I hope to be building some scaffolding by then and getting that installed. I will be needing the scaffolding to remove the old siding as well as the corner so other then the door I’m done till the 1st. At which point 10 more square of siding will be ordered, the necessary windows picked up and the back started on.
An interesting aside, the siding dealer had been a member and elder of the church we’d had to leave and had also left over the attitude of the church leadership.
-- --Rev. Russ in NY-- A posse ad esse