Just trying to squeeze in an hour a night has been making a difference, tonight I managed to make 8 tenons on the 4 legs. Each tenon is 2.5” long, 1.5” wide and .75” thick. At first these sounded like some solid numbers but one actually milled out they seem kind of small. Too late now to change it so I hope they’ll be strong enough.
Tomorrow I’ll lay out and cut out the mortises for the long cross supports and try to mortise the feet. If I can get the feet done I’ll try assembling the ends. Just missing the top pieces that the actual bench will sit on.
Also spent a little time working on a ring for the winter contest. I sliced a ebony pen blank on the bandsaw, cut out three squares and glued them up with alternating grain to give strength. I then discovered that at three layers it was already twice as wide as my wife’s wedding band and for my design I still needed to add 2 more layers. So, back to the bandsaw and I cut all the original slices down. The result was a pair of blanks, still 3 layers thick that is narrower then the wedding band. Should be the same thickness with the last 2 layers added.
I’ve also now drilled them and mounted them on a pen mandrel and tomorrow will make the blanks completely round then drill it out to fit my wife’s finger. I decided to add in the over sized one for my daughter. It’ll be wide but that’ll make it harder for her to lose.
-- --Rev. Russ in NY-- A posse ad esse