Managed to spend a little time in the shop this evening. First lesson of the day, if the dust collector is running then the tablesaw will trip the breaker if you try to saw red oak over 3” thick. But, wearing a mask and still breathing in too much dust I managed to get 2 feet and 2 long cross supports milled up square.
The feet are 2.25”x3” and 28” long. Feet will be added to the bottoms of these and the ends rounded over a little, not too extreme as I don’t want them sticking out too far on the side that will be flush with the legs.
The long cross supports will be 1.75”x3”x5.5’ once they take a couple trips through the planer to clean them up.
Unfortunately I had just finished getting it all milled down and squared up and discovered that one of them had a long split that was barely visible. I simply drove a chisel into the crack and discovered it was about 2’ long. So I drizzled a lot of glue down it and clamped it up as you see.
Tomorrow, or when the time exists, I will tenon the end of the legs and mortise the feet so that they can be a wedged through mortise. I’ll also have to mortise the legs to accept the long supports. These mortises will be cut to fit a wedged tenon however the tenons on long supports will be designed with a wedge shape at the bottom of the tenons so that wedges can be driven in at the top this way it can be broken down for moving. Once all the legs are done I will be able to assemble them.
-- --Rev. Russ in NY-- A posse ad esse