LumberJocks

My 5 projects #8: New Project: a high chair, and one down; sort of.

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by derosa posted 10-09-2012 03:44 AM 6823 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 7: A planer sled to make boards with and I broke my "workbench" Part 8 of My 5 projects series Part 9: Progress on the clamp cart, dinosaurs, and some cleaning. »

One down, sort of. The mobile butcher block has been put on hold for a while. The wife saw the cover of the Feb woodcraft and decided that she liked the mobile block they had rather then my design. This leaves me with 4 red oak table legs that may someday get used. The cutting board that was to be a part of it was finished and made a project here http://lumberjocks.com/projects/71672

With that out of the way she immediately requested a new chair for our daughter which I am now well into. The design is based off of a pic she showed me from Amazon and I simply went from there.
Kokako is working on one like it at this time, had I seen his in time I would have changed the angle of my upright, instead I decided that 60* sounded like a nice wholesome angle.

I laminated four boards together to try and get as strong a joint as possible at the corners. Originally I rabbited both sides of the seat and footrest, no clue what I was thinking on that and I planed the top of both till they were flush. To make the dados I originally tried using the router and figuring out angles on the miter till I realized that it was far easier to slide the bottoms of the chair along the tablesaw fence and just move the fence a set amount each time.
After making the sides I needed to figure out how to do bent lamination. I stacked three pieces of particle board on top of each other with plenty of glue and clamps. After drawing the curve for the back I sent it to the bandsaw. I then took the piece that had the outer curve and putting the curve against the fence ran it through the tablesaw, this let me have an outer edge of the laminate mold parallel to the piece coming out of it. I then put the two halves together and ran the opposite side through the saw. Finally I squared the two ends to the desired width. This meant that any piece could easily be squared up on the tablesaw in the mold.

Seat backs are 7 layers as this is what survived final production. I had 1 4”x1”x11’ rough cut board. Unfortunately it had a lot of knots and small splits that ruined a lot of the overall wood. I also discovered that some care had to be taken with putting some of the rougher pieces into the tablesaw. One piece in particular was kicked back and caught my finger tips resulting in two very painful blood blisters.

Next up is drilling the holes to allow them to be bolted to the chair.

-- --Rev. Russ in NY-- A posse ad esse



1 comment so far

View oldnovice's profile

oldnovice

3865 posts in 2112 days


#1 posted 10-09-2012 04:04 AM

Do you have any drawings? My youngest son will need one of these in March!

I really like this!

Based on my daughters experience with purchased high chairs this has to be a much better solution. She has two children and both of them completely wore out and broke their purchased plastics/metal chairs.

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase