LumberJocks

Shop cart for clamps and tools #2: A new beginning on the cart; bottom and sides.

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by derosa posted 660 days ago 1332 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: The original design Part 2 of Shop cart for clamps and tools series no next part

After the failure of the first cart I used the top piece to hold the clamps, just not on the dolly; end result is that the clamps remained strewn everywhere since I didn’t feel like walking to the stand each time. After some time away I moved on to a new design based on the recommendation to keep things sloped.
First was taking the wheels off of the dolly and applying them to a new base; the new base is two pieces of 1/2” ply glued together. These are free from the local packing place, they’re my last two so hopefully they’ll be throwing more out soon. Not certain the ply but both sides are sanded smooth with a nice finished surface and out of 10 sheets I’ve yet to see any form of void in them. The only defect is the hole in the middle that every one of them has, still good for jigs and projects like this. I made sure to reuse the wheel hardware and eyeballed them to the corners.

For the sides I had a folding changing table I tried to make based off of a design my wife saw on Amazon, although it worked the design seemed too unstable for my taste. Think of those wooden TV dinner tables that fold up but with a cloth and strapping top, turns out the real things were just as flimsy feeling. I simply cut off the center pivot and since all 4 of the legs were over 40” I decided to go with them. I figure anything over 36” is limited use or case work type projects and those can go on the wall next to my eventual bench or work table.

I spaced the legs to the width of the base minus 1.5” for front support boards to keep the legs from separating and to stiffen the base. I then took a piece of scrap that was laying around and sliced it down the middle for 2 1.75” wide boards. I then cut these at 24” long, base is 27” square, leaving 2 roughly 10” pieces. I laid the 24” pieces across the bottom and the 10” piece across the top and fiddled with it for a minute or two till the angle of the sides looked pleasing to me and roughly the same angle. Close enough was good enough on this.

Once I had it where I wanted it I drew the cross lines on the top piece and took my miter for the saw and checked the two lines, one was right about 9* the other about 10, so I set it to 9.5. I then cut the bottom cross piece and the bottom of the two legs. That let me get a clamp on them so I could situate the top pieces.

Somehow I didn’t get the length of the legs the same, really have no idea how but the first side is all glued and clamped, the other side was cut at the same time. I actually double stacked the two sides when cutting so I must have had one side slip before the cut. Not too bad, I just trim it with the hand saw when done. The second side will hopefully be glued tomorrow, I ran out of space due to my tablesaw being the glue-up table. I would have done it with the two sides standing up but there isn’t enough head room in the shop unless I glued with the base on the floor.
So for now this is where it stands.

-- --Rev. Russ in NY-- A posse ad esse



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase