I’ve actually managed to be busy lately despite wrapping up some plans from an archaeological site for a friend.
First things first, I’ve managed to wrap up the creation of the legs for the portable countertop. I’d like to get some brass gas fittings to turn on the ends but so far no luck finding ones that fit around here. The lets are about 1.25” diameter and nothing seems to quite be that size. The fourth leg was turned, all four were then put back on the lathe for a good sanding and then over to the router for a 1/4” round over of the edges. Wasn’t in the original plan but I haven’t mastered transitioning from the round section to the square so the roundover is meant to remove some of the tear out on the corners. There’s still some evidence but the worst two corners will be hidden and those two legs will be out of site for the most part in the back.
I also managed to get some work done on the new work bench, I’ll have to get a pic of the old one the next time I get a chance, it’s in really bad shape. Anyways, the clamp collecting when I can has been making a difference. Couldn’t glue the other three boards I milled up, don’t have that many yet but I still managed to put a lot on the three boards I did glue.
I also managed to make a through mortise in the legs of the bench that I’ve made so far, both legs (one not shown) have a 5* taper to them so the joints can be locked into place when the time comes. Still only have 2 legs until the pallet place coughs up another couple oak runners. Next to the leg is a cross piece that the top will rest on, I have both of these and they were just finished, also still missing the two big cross pieces and the two feet.
And while cleaning the shop I came across this, I had someone give me some old flooring cut offs and this was among them. Supposedly the whole floor was white oak but I’ve never seen oak like this, either way it is over 100 years old and heavier then any oak I have except what came with it from the floor.
-- --Rev. Russ in NY-- A posse ad esse