I glued up the mobile counter top legs from a single piece of 5/4 red oak. The board looked fairly uniform in color throughout and looked incredibly straight, turns out it was close enough not to matter. I’ve got no photos of the glue up.
For the next step I took a few of the pieces of fiberboard that I get at the local pallet drop off and cut the profile of the legs into them. I then glued these up into a box shape that could be bolted onto the lathe and give me a profile to follow. This allows me to get the profile that transitions to the square section all the same. I still haven’t quite gotten the technique for doing it quite right with a chisel so there was more tear-out then I would have liked on the first attempt, the second was better and with the edges rounded over shouldn’t even be noticeable. Hopefully the first will have at least 3 unobtrusive corners to work with once rounded over. For the final two I used a file and that cut cleanly and smoothly with zero tear-out. Below is the final leg in the process.
And here are the other three legs. The other up side to my set up is that I bring the long taper into final profile with a hand plane laid across the two sides which I then move back and forth for a smooth clean taper that needs very little finish sanding. Doesn’t get the thin curls everyone likes but it does get good results.
Thanks for looking. I’ll have more soon but I’ve decided to clean up the shop for the LJ challenge and it has been quite the challenge.
-- --Rev. Russ in NY-- A posse ad esse