In an effort to try and clean and organize my shop I decided I needed a way to store my clamps and make them easily move around the shop. Although I’m certain there are many designs for this out there I decided I need to design something myself.
Get a coupon from harbor freight for a mover’s dolly that will supposedly hold 1000lbs and is on sale for 7.00.
Build a case from what is lying around. The dolly was 18×12” and for whatever reason I decided that I wouldn’t think outside that dimension. In the back closet I found this sheet of particle board. I peeled off the old tape, was able to slice out 2 17-1/4×48” pieces, 2 12×48” and a 12×18” bottom. I glued the two larger sheets together, glued the sides on and then glued the bottom. As these were all 3/8” thick I didn’t have a nail or screw small enough for attachment. The result is this
Attach to the base and watch the middle section which is only glued into place fall out
No pic, missed this step.
Take a 3×3 piece of wood, cut it into 17-1/4” lengths. Set the blade to 2-1/4” height, a dado would be better but I was to lazy to install mine. Using the fence as a stop run the boards over the blade using the mitre slide to create 1/4” dadoes every 3/4”. Once done slice lengthwise into 7/8” thick boards. Glue these into the case spaced about 10” apart. Once glued in, screw in and add your clamps to the results.
Test it by moving it all around the shop and discover that you need to discard half these directions when it tips over damaging the holders that were made from too cheap a wood.
Correct- 1/4” dadoes are spot on. Even holds my 1880s EC Stearns clamps. Make sure the dadoes do line up, this allows the longer clamps to fit into the dadoes all the way down. It is necessary to have the end of the clamps longer then 4” rest in a holder below to keep it from tipping forward and falling out. The wheels are a great idea. The spacing of the dadoes is fine though I might go to 1” between.
Wrong- Use thicker wood. Glue and screw the holders to the back boards first, this will then offer more glue areas for the sides to attach to and will allow them to immediately be screwed on as well, this will also speed up the process to avoid waiting for glue to dry. Sticking with the original size of the dolly when all I need is the wheels. Will try 18×24” next. Originally I only made the dadoes 1” deep which the top bracket still is in the photo, this is too shallow and the clamps easily pitch forward and fall out.
Improvements. A small bar across the bottom to hold glue. Holes in the top bracket to hold screwdrivers and allen wrenches that are needed around the shop. One side will be used to hold my turning tools, maybe mallets and the like on the other side.
-- --Rev. Russ in NY-- A posse ad esse