My attempt at breadboard ends failed miserably. I decided that I liked the look of square pegs and so cut square holes but didn’t get them quite right. even tough the holes were .5” from the end of the board 2 out of the four holes split out the back. This was the first time trying to make square holes with just a chisel in soft wood. I finished all of them for the practice but has I had made the pilots by drilling through both the ends of the top and the end pieces together moving the holes wasn’t really an option.
End result, I cut the top down to 28×46, added 2 coats of tung oil and 3 coats of pecan stain polyurethane.
Once this was done I started on the legs. Two more butternut boards were sliced up and glued together
Then the pieces that they will insert into were cut up; There was some experiment with how to do this best.
The two at the top were sliced up and the long mortise made on the table saw, All joints were made with hand planes as was final smoothing. Results are very smooth walled mortises of consistent depth that need no further work. Negatives are that the glue lines are visible if you look close due to the slight change in the grain. Time consuming when you only have enough clamps to do a single side at a time.
The two bottom ones were done with the drill press. The results are consistent and considerably faster but need a bit of clean up for which I will need to buy a chisel. The results are nicer, detailing on the legs will follow.
Finally, the cutie for whom this table is now being made.
-- --Rev. Russ in NY-- A posse ad esse