Last night I worked on my first shelf. Let me tell you I was very nervous. First thing I did was working with some scap. I got it worked out so that I had a test piece that had the correct nosing depth and thickness to test my frame notches.
When I first created the notches on the frames, I went ahead and made them a little bit smaller than 3/4. I did this because I really want a tight fit between the frames and the shelves. So with my notch tester in hand I checked each notch and then sanded it down to the correct thickness. to do this I used a scrap of wood that was about 1/8 inch smaller than the notch, and wrapped it with sandpaper. This actually worked pretty well, and was a lot better than using a file I was originally working with. My only concern is to make sure the mating surfaces are not too tight to account for some wood movement. I may actually open up the nosing on the shelves just a bit so that if the frames expand it will be ok. But only a 1/16 or so on each side.
My initial fears about the solidness of the shelves in the notches was unfounded. Once the shelf was in the notches and tapped into place with a mallet the shelf was rock solid and took quite a bit of weight before flexing. So I am happy about that. My only dissappointment is in the look of the cutouts from the dado blade, but I think once everything is sanded it will be good. I just bought a cheap Mibro dado from lowes, and of course some of it could be my technique. It didnt chipout or anything, but the bottom is rough and needs a lot of sanding.
My main computer has been down and will be down for a while, but I will try and get some pictures interspersed through here for you guys to see.
-- If you can't build it, code it. If you can't code it, build it. But always ALWAYS take a picture.