LumberJocks

Craftsman Open Panel Shelf #3: My day off.

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by depictureboy posted 10-02-2008 07:08 PM 757 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: Gathering the pieces Part 3 of Craftsman Open Panel Shelf series Part 4: One Shelf Down - Two to Go »

Well last week I was on-call at work and it was a hell week. So I got to take a full day off as a comp day. YAY!!

So I have the stiles and rails cut as well as the shelves(though they aren’t cut to finished length yet.)

Today I focused on notching the stiles as needed and constructing the frames. Having gone through this process now, I have some thoughts to share with those who may be interested in trying this out themselves.

1. Lay out your stiles and rails and figure out which pieces go where. Then in order to insure accurate cutting during the gang operation, mark the fronts with chalk(I used ‘F’). BUT dont gang them front to back along the frames. Take each frame individually and place the backs together. Do this for each frame, then slide all the pieces together into your gang. I didnt do this and getting the centers grooved was a pain. Doing it this way insures that the groves across pieces will match propertly along the whole length of the design.

2. When you are doing the halflaps for the stiles, PAY ATTENTION TO THE FACE. I wasnt doing this and almost had a disaster. Needless to say I have one frame whose rails are longer on the front than the others(imagine turning the frame back to the front). It wasnt until the last 2 stiles that I realized what I was doing.

Cutting the groves in the shelves I think is going to be the hardest. I have the pattern measured out on one shelf, but I realized that some of the receiving grooves are about 1/16” off. So I will have to sneak up on my grooves.

I worked a little bit on figuring out my finishing. At the moment I am going to sand to 220 grit, then apply a pre-staining sealer, over that I am going to put a coat of Boiled Linseed oil, then at least 2 coats of poly. I was originally going to go with BLO only, but my test piece was way dark and kind of splotchy. When I used the PSS, the blotches went away and th color wasnt as brown.

Let me know what you think.

-- If you can't build it, code it. If you can't code it, build it. But always ALWAYS take a picture.



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com