Well, being a trusting sort, I started working through the plan as dimensioned.
The first parts went together really well( these being the top, bottom and back). Then the time came for adding the molding around the front and sides. I soon discovered that the pieces were not lining up right as they should according to the diemensions and the pictures. And to top it off the boss was getting angry at me cause I was spending time doing that instead of getting ready for vacation…sigh.
So anyway being handy with sketchup, I started working through the project in there. I should have done this to start with because the dimensions I wound up with are way different from those in the article. Anyway here is the completed sketchup drawing.
Now the only questions I am having is materials. Originally I was using things I had left over inthe shop, I didnt like the way the boards came out, as they were rough and I didnt really sand them down real fine because I was going to paint them anyway, but the grain still was showing through. So now I am thinking for the Top and bottom I will use MDF, I will still use wood in the back for the strength to hang it(dont want screws pulling out of keyholes in MDF), and use regular style 49 crown molding, but make sure all the stock comes from one piece to eliminate any registration errors.
-- If you can't build it, code it. If you can't code it, build it. But always ALWAYS take a picture.