LumberJocks

Open weave Lazy Larry

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by degoose updated 1092 days ago 9 parts 42882 reads 119 comments total

Part 1: Ripping the stock.

1113 days ago by degoose | 12 comments »

I am about to make an open weave Lazy Larry…similar to this one. I have ripped some Tasmanian Blackwood into the required strips….. these are just over 600 mm long and 50 mm by 20 mm For our American cousins… 2 feet long and 2 inch by 3/4 inch.. Tomorrow I will be ripping some thin stripes of Huon Pine and Tasmanian Blackwood to make the accents… Strips will be only 3 mm thick [ 1/8 inch] The background will be Huon Pine….. cut into 50 mm squares̷...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Design changes already...

1112 days ago by degoose | 7 comments »

The open weave Lazy Larry is going through some design changes… already… I have decided to use Purple Heart and Silver Ash for the accents… while still maintaining the Huon Pine for the background… The timber is being milled… The purple heart…... and the Silver Ash…. Milling will be completed tomorrow as I am off to Toowoomba this morning with Aaron….. to do a demonstration on the TWC for the Toowoomba woodworkers club… Get...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Thin strip ripping...

1108 days ago by degoose | 10 comments »

Well, all the timber is now dressed and ready to have some strips cut… I use the Incra TSLS 32 fence system and this makes thin strip ripping a breeze.. Note the feather board to the left of the table… For the first cut I set the blade to shave the rough edge… then set the hairline cursor to a starting position… I chose to use 4 on the auxiliary scale purely as a reference point..The cursor is then move 1/4 inch on the scale… This will give a strip 1/...

Read this entry »


Part 4: The glue up

1108 days ago by degoose | 15 comments »

Here you will see the steps in the glue up of the weave strips… The strips are ready for assembly.. After applying glue to the various surfaces, I assemble the 5 pieces in order and secure with blue painters tape.. this is easy to remove later… While just using tape can be enough, I like to clamp between two cauls to ensure that the width of the piece remains constant along the entire length.. and it aids by applying even pressure on the strips being glued..As each set is...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Setting up for cross cutting.

1107 days ago by degoose | 7 comments »

To start we need to ensure the blade of the table saw is at 90 degrees.. for this I use a Wixey digital angle finder.. Fortunately I have an Incra Mitre Express and Mitre 1000 se…. turns a normal table saw into a sliding saw… and oh so accurate … You will notice the Magswitch magnets being used as stops…this will become clearer when you watch the video…. just lay the background strip along the blade of the table saw and place the magnet to act as a stopR...

Read this entry »


Part 6: A crosscutting video...

1106 days ago by degoose | 20 comments »

No explanation required… just watch.. Here is the dry fit after all the pieces have been cut… I did not show the cutting of the background Huon Pine peices .. I figure you know how this was done…. all cut at the first stop.. and again keeping them in order for grain flow…

Read this entry »


Part 7: Waiting for the glue to dry...

1106 days ago by degoose | 7 comments »

While I was waiting for the glue to try on the weave blanks….. I made a few wine bottle balancers .. These were made from some of the European Walnut and Cherry I bought a few years ago..the one on the end is Camphor cut across the grain The group shown here are all Camphor Laurel… with Australian Pennies inset in them… A close up shot… There is no finish on any of them… I will be spraying a water based finish shortly… and then watch the grain p...

Read this entry »


Part 8: The glue up

1093 days ago by degoose | 11 comments »

Got out nice and early this morning… and here is the glue up video you have all been waiting for … The whole video is actually only 9 minutes long… intro and ending included… the glue up took around 8 minutes and a further couple to fit and adjust the clamps.. So a realistic total of under 10 minutes… not too shabby…

Read this entry »


Part 9: Out of the clamps.

1092 days ago by degoose | 30 comments »

Well the glue has had time to cure… now to take the weave out of the clamps. A quick trip through the drum sander… Reasonable flat… now it is off to the bandsaw… onto a circle cutting jig.. A quick pivot.. Now we have cut all the corners off… there will be less to sand so back in the Drum Sander To show the colour and grain a little mineral spirits.. Tomorrow… a base and bearing… final sand and a few coats of poly.. Might use the Ear...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase