|Blog series by deeman||updated 03-18-2010 10:54 PM||4 parts||3675 reads||7 comments total|
Well today I start a new lock made from lacewood. I bought a piece of lacewood that was 6in.by 48in. at Woodcraft. I have been wanting to try this for a long time and I guess now is as good a time as any. I am hoping to use different types of wood and make different styles of locks. I hope to learn to use inlay on this lock also. I started out by cutting of one piece about 13 in long. I then re sawed it and planed it to just under 3/8 thick. Then I cut a piece 4 1/2 long and ripped all part...
Today I worked on the front lock face. I put a inlayed piece of bubinga for the key hole trim. This was my first try,just a simple circle. After a few practice pieces I worked on the project part. Turned out pretty good I think. I got the grain off a little. I then cut out the lock body and made the spring. The spring is a piece of hickory 1/16 thick 5/8 wide and 2 7/8 long
Today I made the shackle, The latch bolt, and the lever. The shackle is made of walnut and the other parts are from maple. I also drilled the back face and after sanding all the parts did a dry fit of the lock body and back face to make sure all parts worked properly. I then applied Arm R Seal to the top of the lock body. It is very hard to get to after assembly. After some more fitting I will glue the back to the center then the front.
Today I finished the lacewood lock. I applied 4 coats of Arm R Seal. Over all I am happy with it. This is the first time I used lacewood and I liked using it.This is also my first time trying inlay. The inlay is made of bubinga and the shackle and buttons are walnut. I hope this helps all of you that asked about my other locks.