This is a short blog, I hope, to show some work I was able to get built this week in the shop for a commissioned project.
- – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - -
This tool is a Rounding Jack used to trim the brims of hats, and will be used by a discerning hat maker. In this exciting development, I have completed two different designs for the blade holder, using thick brass as the material as an alternate to the wood I’ve previously used.
There is quite a price jump to go with the brass blade holder, but some hatters don’t seem to mind. I like the look of the brass with the walnut, lots of “bling.”
The blade guard on the left side in the photos is a brass holder, that cuts the brims in a clockwise fashion. To go the other direction, I would need to make a mirror image of this one.
Rhe brass blade holder on the right however, “The Tombstone” model, stands the blade upright, but allows the blade to be flipped, making it able to cut in either direction.
I’ll post better photos in a full project posting in a few days, but I was so excited, I decided to document the day with a blog about it.
that’s it, told you it would be short,
- – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – -
Here is a Slideshow with more of my Rounding Jacks Shown
Click the “Speaker” icon for music
Artisan Hat Tools by Mark DeCou Studio
(Do you want to see More? Just follow these links):
ALL HAT MAKING ITEMS THAT I HAVE IN STOCK
ARE LISTED IN MY ETSY.COM ONLINE SHOP, click here to check inventory
- Walnut Hobbyist-Hatter Model, Counter Clockwise Cutter
- Walnut Hobbyist-Hatter Model, Clockwise Cutter
- Spradley Hats in Apline, TX
- Rachel Pollock of La Bricoleuse
- Brainpan Hat Shop in Sumner, WA
- Steve Delk's Adventurebilt Hat Co.
- Marc Kitter's Adventurebilt Hat Co.
- Pyrate Trading Co.
- Hatman Jack at Wichita Hat Works
- Inaaya Hat Co.
- Penman Hat Co.
- Complete Restoration of a Maillard Conformateur and Formillon
- New DeCou Formillion & Conformer, Prototypes #1 & #2
- Custom Designed Conformateur Carrying & Storage Case
- New Plot Base Board for the Maillard Allie Formillon
- Maple Wrench for Tightening Formillon Thumbnuts
- Left-Handed & Right-Handed Foot Tolliker
- Foot Tolliker: Elk Antler & Birch Wood, on a Display Stand
- Foot Tolliker: Walnut Wood, on a Display Stand
- Foot Tollikers: Three in White Birch Wood
- Foot Tollikers: Walnut Wood Set of Four
- Foot Tollikers, Birch Wood Double Set, on Display Stand
- Hinge-Shackle Curling Tool for the Homburg Hat
- Full Circle Shackle Curling Tool
- Half Circle Shacking Curling Tool
- Groove Tolliker Curing Tool
- “Coming Soon”, please check back.
My Website with other woodworking, including furniture, walking canes, scrimshaw artwork, custom knives, and other misc. items
(Note:This project story, project design, and photos are protected by copyright in 2008-2009 by the Author, M.A.DeCou., all rights reserved, no use allowed without expressed written permission.)
-- Mark DeCou - American Contemporary Craft Artisan - www.decoustudio.com