LumberJocks

Enclosed Cherry Raised Panel Bench

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Craftsman on the lake updated 523 days ago 8 parts 8020 reads 73 comments total

Part 1: Prepping the wood and parts

539 days ago by Craftsman on the lake | 10 comments »

I am making a raised panel bench seat that is enclosed for the bedroom. As always, storage is at a premium at our place. I’m making this bench to go along a long wall will let us sit to put on our socks and still have a storage space. In my mind it will look like this. It’s just a sketch and that’s how I usually start. The length will be 54 inches and the height 20 inches. Since it’s actually a sitting bench it will be quite squat as a chest would be much taller.. ...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Just the glue-ups

539 days ago by Craftsman on the lake | 5 comments »

After making all the rails and stiles or the entire frame. I temporarily put them together on the bench to get an idea of the sizes of the raised panels. Today I cut and jointed some cherry and glued them all up Four raised panels on the front and four on the back with two larger ones on the sides. ...And the top….

Read this entry »


Part 3: Raised panels, dry fit and one side glue-up

537 days ago by Craftsman on the lake | 12 comments »

Today I had a few hours. I cut the panels to size then routed them with an ogee raised panel bit. . ..I decided to put some pocket hole screws on the inside on the rails/stiles for added strength. People will be sitting on this. ..Next a dry fit of the front of the bench. Everything fit pretty good but it was a bear to get all parts into their slots at once. To tighten it up a bit I decided to take a 1/16 of both sides of two panels. I’m amazed (shocked actually) that my measur...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Remaining panels glued up and then box assembled

534 days ago by Craftsman on the lake | 12 comments »

Today I glued up the other three sides. By applying a pocket hole screw to the back side of each joint I was able to remove the clamps and keep on working. The base is a piece of 3/4” birch plywood. I may (or may not) finish the bottom with cedar later on. I haven’t decided yet. Grizzman mentioned it and now it’s in my head. I first glued and screwed the ends to the plywood by placing the ends off the side of the bench on the rail of my ‘newfangled bench’. The...

Read this entry »


Part 5: New top and skirt!

531 days ago by Craftsman on the lake | 17 comments »

The past couple of days I made some more progress. I used my raised panel router bit to made a cove type molding for the skirt around the bottom of the bench/chest. it sits on the chest in a rabit cut into the back of the skirt. After gluing it on I decided it needed some reinforcing so that it wouldn’t get broken under the weight of people sitting on it. I cut some oak strips and glued and screwed them under the chest and against the molding.....With all of these joints it will take aw...

Read this entry »


Part 6: All sanded and yet to be horned rail glued up

530 days ago by Craftsman on the lake | 4 comments »

Woodworking is often so therapeutic. Today I did the tedious job of sanding. Thank God for my Bosch ROS and my mirka paper. That stuff just doesn’t wear out. I’m still using some of the same pieces from 4 projects ago and some were large like beds. Anyway, I scraped all the seams to remove the glue and level them. Then I started with 80 grit and worked down to 320. When all is said and done I’ll do a final 400, vacuum it with a brush and use a tacky semidried shellace...

Read this entry »


Part 7: Roll over molding

528 days ago by Craftsman on the lake | 4 comments »

I made the roll over molding for the top back and side edges of the cover. It actually went quite well..I first jointed the three strips that I had glued together then passed them through the planer to get a squared off strip..Next I put it through the router table with the raised panel bit in it to make the inside curve or cove..I planed the back side of it after cutting a few corners off on the table saw..So, I’m left with a roughed out outside curve on the back of the cove..The final...

Read this entry »


Part 8: Three coats of waterlox and one coat of poly to go

523 days ago by Craftsman on the lake | 9 comments »

I’ve got three coats of waterlox on it. When it’s plenty dry, about a week or two (it’s shiny wet in these pictures) I’ll wet sand it lightly with 600 grit wet/dry paper and then spray a coat of polyurethane. I’ve also yet to install the hinges. Four chest hinges. I’m going to install the hinges on the front as the bench will be up against a wall and opening from the front would necessitate pulling it away from the wall. Opening from the back would eliminat...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase