In my last post I mentioned the building of a fine dust filter using water. I’ve had a number of people send me private messages inquiring about it. So, I’ve decided to prematurely talk about it before it’s done or even know if it works so that people can have their questions answered. And maybe some other heads involved might provide some insight into what I might expect. This may not work at all.
Below is a picture of what I’ve done so far. Some of the drawn in parts are what I still need to do. Parts are on order. To date, I’ve eliminated the damn top and bottom cloth bags that are a bear to reinstall. I’ve turned the collector upside down so that the inlet is now at the top with motor at the bottom. The cowling inside is made something like a thein collector with out the baffle. I was only interested in making the container easier to remove and empty. I wasn’t interested in a pre-collector barrel. I don’t fear anything damaging the steel impeller. So those wondering why I have sort of looking thein collector directly on the unit.. well it isn’t a thein collector. It’s just an easier to empty collector.
When I fired up the unit the chips never go up the pipe. They always go down. So, no chips leave the unit. It’s the dust that must be getting through that I’m interested in. This is only a 1 hp collector hence the 4” pipe inlet and outlet. The unit works much better than it did with the bags. I took the flexible hose off the router table you see on the right and opened the baffle. A pile of sawdust and wood chips will be cleaned off my hand if I hold them about 6” away from the opening.
The water part
I haven’t implemented the water stuff yet. The only thing I have installed is the vertical 1/2” pvc pipe inside the 4” one.
The plan is that with thin slits cut about every 6” on the pipe on three sides I can create a water bath that the dust has to pass through. I’ve ordered a pond pump from amazon. A pond pump is made to run a small fountain in a pond and be able to accept some level of debris without clogging. It’s submersible and runs on 110V. I’ll connect the pump to the bottom of the 1/2” pipe that has slits. The pump will grab water from the bucket and spray it out through the slits on the sides of the pipe. The top of the spray pipe is capped. As air and dust is forced through the dust collector outlet it will pass through and over the water spray and the dust will be trapped in the water and drain down the sides of the 4” pipe back to the bucket to be used again. I would have to add water to the unit periodically as it evaporated. I’ve never seemed to have any moisture issues in my shop as it’s a garrison type building atop my garage. So, I don’t think the water evaporation will be an issue. Besides it’s only running periodically with a power tool. The newly installed plugs on the wall have a switch on them so that when I switch on the unit, the pump and collector will start and stop together.
I hope all this made sense. I have absolutely no idea if this will all work. In my mind it will so that’s all I need for now to waste my time trying. (I did save the bags though!). I know there are instances where water has been used before, in some home vacuums and commercial sheetrock sanding vacuums so it does work someplace.
I’ll let you know when I get the rest of it all connected. I’ve got other things to make first. For now, it collects dust as good or better than it ever did with the bags. Hopefully later on the fine stuff will get collected too. Fingers crossed.
-- The smell of wood, coffee in the cup, the wife let's me do my thing, the lake is peaceful.