Today I glued up the other three sides. By applying a pocket hole screw to the back side of each joint I was able to remove the clamps and keep on working. The base is a piece of 3/4” birch plywood. I may (or may not) finish the bottom with cedar later on. I haven’t decided yet. Grizzman mentioned it and now it’s in my head.
I first glued and screwed the ends to the plywood by placing the ends off the side of the bench on the rail of my ‘newfangled bench’. The end panel was flush with the bench top and I simply put the plywood bottom over it and glued and screwed it on. Next I turned the unit of bottom and end panels upright and applied glue to the wide front and back panels. After lining them up clamps were applied. I’ll fashion some round over corner braces after and glue them in to reinforce the corners. I contemplated forty fiving the corners but remembered that in other projects placing one board on the edge of another and sanding makes the seam often almost impossible to see. The corner stiles of the ends are 3/4” narrower so when the front glues onto them it will bring the corner pieces on the ends to a full 3”.
This is a fun build so far. Tomorrow I’ll work on smoothing the top. That should take some time. I’ll also, if I have time, cut the skirt/legs for the bottom edge. Now that I am well again life is good.
-- The smell of wood, coffee in the cup, the wife let's me do my thing, the lake is peaceful. http://gagnerwebsite.com/Deceiver/Craftsman_on_the_lake/Craftsman_on_the_lake.html