LumberJocks

Cleaning #4: Preparing for phase II

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Craftsman on the lake posted 04-10-2017 03:49 AM 564 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 3: Homemade hangers for dust collection pipe. Part 4 of Cleaning series no next part

After Several years (9 on this site) after setting up shop and posting 41 projects, multiple blog and forum posts, I’m doing a retrofit of the shop. Nothing spectacular, just adjusting a couple of things. I’m getting ready for the next 41 builds. On my radar pretty much in this order: A bridal chest for my daughter who’s getting married in September, A kitchen table, on of the last pieces of furniture of the house after a complete remodel of it and furniture, A dining table for my other daughter. A dining room light….to mention a few.

I already posted a thorough cleaning, redoing of wiring and dust collection and assembly of a new Sawstop professional saw I’m slowly going through other tools.

Today I managed a couple of items. One was the connection of the Sawstop’s upper connection dust hose. I had some hose the right size already available from my old bosch sander. Connection was easy and collection seems nearly 100% with the shroud over the blade. I used a couple of half sections of pvc pipe to use as hangers along with a small bungie cord which hugs the ribbed hose nicely.

Then I lowered my assembly/outfeed table. A few years ago I gave up my woodworking bench and replaced it with a heavy assembly table. This new saw is not as tall as my old one by 3/4 of an inch, so I had to lower the assembly table. I didn’t want to tip it over and rebuild it so I removed the locking wheels and bolted a piece of 2×4 over the old mounting areas. Added a 3/4 piece of plywood as a spacer and remounted the wheels. Definitely a noticeable afterthought but it works without redoing the bottom of the whole table. And it gets the table about 1/8 lower than the saw. Just enough to catch the wood as it outfeeds.

Finally I partially disassembled the planer, cleaned it and lubricated it with dry graphite on the raising/lowing threaded rods and silicon on the sliding rods. Trying not to use things that will attract dust. It was starting to crank hard raising it above 2 inches. I also waxed the feed areas. Then I removed the blades and rotated them to the other sharpened edge. BTW.. this has been a great planer. I have put thousands of feet of wood through it and am on my fourth blade edges (on the last edge of my second set of blades). It still runs good and has always handled the wood well.
Finally, after all this time I had purchased and installed an entire length of dust collector hose so that I can more easily pull it out for longer lengths of wood. Before it was a little short. I had to often creatively position the planer to get longer wood to go through without hitting the wall. A note that as of this post and searching high and low online, I found the best price for 4” ten foot dust collection hose at Home Depot, ship to store for pick up at $19.99. Years ago I payed $14.99 for it and thought that was expensive. Right now, many places it’s up to $35 per length! This one from HD is flexible and has a thick rubbery plastic around the wire coil. I was worried when I ordered it but was pleased to find that it’s good.

Well, that’s all for now. On to other things.

-- The smell of wood, coffee in the cup, the wife let's me do my thing, the lake is peaceful.



1 comment so far

View papadan's profile (online now)

papadan

2854 posts in 3030 days


#1 posted 04-10-2017 03:58 AM

I’m just waiting to see some of the next 41 projects!

-- Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com