LumberJocks

Shaker Sofa Table

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Douglas updated 527 days ago 5 parts 7826 reads 14 comments total

Part 1: Project Planning and Getting Lumber

578 days ago by Douglas | 3 comments »

My sister just moved into a new house, and as a gift, I wanted to make her something. She needed a sofa table, as her sofa backs into her living room. Over the holidays, I took my measurements, floated a few designs her way, and we settled on a two drawer Shaker style hall table, made a bit thinner, to be a sofa table. This will be my first project for someone other than myself & my wife. It will also be the first project with my new bench, so I’m very excited to get use that. He...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Legs and Aprons

576 days ago by Douglas | 1 comment »

Since last part, I was able to get farther on the table. After letting the parts acclimate to the shop overnight, I milled all the parts to final dimensions. I then had to rip the front apron into horizontal strips, then cut the middle section vertically to make the drawer fronts, then re-glue the apron together to make the openings. Next I cut the stopped mortises in the legs to accept the apron tenons. After getting those finished, I noticed I’d made a mistake. I apparently did...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Base Assembly - a screwed up glue up

574 days ago by Douglas | 4 comments »

I had some time to get to the assembly of the base, and doing the glue up. All the parts were cleaned up and sanded. Although I’d done a dry fit, I hadn’t planned out my sequence, and, well, once the glue was on, I realized my alignment was off, and I clamped some things in wrong order, and this glue up was going badly. The glue was on for about 5 minutes, and starting to set up. i either had to live with it, or turn back. So I decided to stop. I pulled the parts apart, very caref...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Drawers - practice and final fitting

527 days ago by Douglas | 1 comment »

Next up was making the drawers for the table. As it was my first time doing hand cut half blind joints, I put myself through a practice run, making two drawers (sans bottoms) with scrap, before using the real grain matched pieces, and potentially screwing those up. I had my how-to down pretty well, but I wanted to get a little more experience in my muscles, and be able to notice any bad trends in technique and correct them. Here’s my efforts, with poplar for the sides & back...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Finishing and finishing

527 days ago by Douglas | 5 comments »

I finally had time this past week to finish the table. I tried some test pieces to see which approach to take. I knew wanted to use shellac, and that I possibly wanted to use oil first. So, I created four test finishes on cutoffs, sanded to 220… Dainish oil + clear shellacDainish oil + amber shellacclear shellac onlyamber shellac only The oil made less difference than I thought, but I liked what it did. And the amber shellac was too much, and clear not enough. So I decided to d...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase