LumberJocks

YAR! - Yet Another Roubo

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Douglas updated 02-08-2013 10:50 PM 5 parts 10297 reads 51 comments total

Part 1: Getting material, making the legs and stretchers

01-10-2013 04:52 AM by Douglas | 9 comments »

I know there are a lot of Roubo workbench builds posted in the last few years, but I have no apologies for adding another to the pile. Why did I start this? Mainly because my current bench is totally inadequate. It is a “weekend workbench” I’ve used for a couple of years now, built before I really understood what I wanted or needed. It is made with 4×4 and 2×4 pressure treated legs and stretchers, a laminated MDF top, 2’ x 5’ in size. It has a face vise...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Assembling the base, milling top stock

01-13-2013 01:36 AM by Douglas | 3 comments »

With the legs and stretchers all ready, it was time to assemble the base. A dry fit revealed a few adjustments were needed for some of the mortises; a couple weren’t deep enough by about 1/8”. Some chisel work cleared that up. I then drilled out the holes for the pegs, marked and drilled the drawbore holes in the tenons. I went with about 3/32” of inset on the 3/8” pegs. Assembly, with Titebond extend as the glue, went well. The pegs went in tight but smooth, after ...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Finishing the top & assembling bench

01-21-2013 01:27 AM by Douglas | 13 comments »

All this past week I was able to get an hour or so each night to keep going with gluing up the 4 sub-sections of the top, getting them done by the weekend. Each section was 4 boards, and ended up being about 5 3/4” wide. I decided to do it this way for a few reasons. First, I wanted to be able to run each section over my 6” jointer, and then the planer. Second, by doing the glue up in stages, it made the final full glue up easier to manage. Here’s one of the sections in t...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Finishing up

01-23-2013 12:43 AM by Douglas | 17 comments »

Since last post, I was able to get some time to finish up almost the whole thing. First, I got to finish and fit the face vise. For that, and for all the “fixtures” (the face vise chop &pin board, the sliding deadman, the end cap, and wagon chop) I used a nice piece of 8/4 ash. I’d never worked with ash before, and I really love how it works. Passing over it with a smoother plane gets it silky smooth. For the face vise, I went with the Lee Valley screw hardware, as...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Ok, Now it's done already

02-08-2013 10:50 PM by Douglas | 9 comments »

Since last entry, I’ve had time to both apply finishing touches, and get some shop time using the bench, and even put the first few battle scars on it. First up was applying some finish. I went with some Watco Danish oil (natural), and did about three coats, letting it dry for a day in between. I then put a thin application of paste wax to the top to help prevent glue & liquid spills from penetrating, but not too much as I didn’t want to make the top slick. Next up was a...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase