I finally had time this past week to finish the table.
I tried some test pieces to see which approach to take. I knew wanted to use shellac, and that I possibly wanted to use oil first. So, I created four test finishes on cutoffs, sanded to 220…
Dainish oil + clear shellac
Dainish oil + amber shellac
clear shellac only
amber shellac only
The oil made less difference than I thought, but I liked what it did. And the amber shellac was too much, and clear not enough. So I decided to do a 50-50 cut of clear & amber after the danish oil.
The oil went on, and I let it sit for about 5 days to make sure it really cured. As I hadn’t attached the top yet, i was able to do it separately, which made things a little easier…
see that “blotchiness” on the top? That’s after the oil was on for about 12 hours. It cleared up 99% after the whole 5 days, and isn’t present in the final finish. It pays to be patient.
After it cured, I was ready to spray the shellac. I used my cheap Rockler HVLP sprayer, which, apart from the hose wearing out after 5-6 uses (I’m on my second replacement), works great. I applies very thing coats, and was able to build the slightly amber tint to my liking. After I built the first coat, I hit it with a light sanding of 320, removed the dust, and went over it for a couple more coats, this time sanding with 0000 steel wool…
The color turned out just as desired, knowing it will darken over time. This is my best effort to date, and I can’t wait to deliver it to my sister. She’s already happy with the pictures she’s seen.
Thanks for following along.
-- Douglas in Chicago - http://dcwwoodworks.com