LumberJocks

Shaker Sofa Table #3: Base Assembly - a screwed up glue up

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Douglas posted 01-30-2013 05:52 AM 1664 reads 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: Legs and Aprons Part 3 of Shaker Sofa Table series Part 4: Drawers - practice and final fitting »

I had some time to get to the assembly of the base, and doing the glue up. All the parts were cleaned up and sanded. Although I’d done a dry fit, I hadn’t planned out my sequence, and, well, once the glue was on, I realized my alignment was off, and I clamped some things in wrong order, and this glue up was going badly. The glue was on for about 5 minutes, and starting to set up. i either had to live with it, or turn back. So I decided to stop. I pulled the parts apart, very carefully, hoping to avoid any damage. Everything came apart without any splitting. So, I let the glue dry overnight, came back the next day and cleaned it off (scraping and sanding), and went at it again. This time, I was better prepared, and it went together fine.

I felt pretty stupid, and really thought I’d screwed it up. I was glad to have made the save. Other than a loss of time, there were only some insignificant consequences. Lesson learned.

Next up are the drawers.

-- Douglas in Chicago - http://dcwwoodworks.com



4 comments so far

View inchanga's profile

inchanga

117 posts in 861 days


#1 posted 01-30-2013 05:37 PM

You won’t be he first or last person to mess up a glue up. At least you spotted it in time and took the right remedial action. I’ve had to saw stuff apart before now. It just finishes up a bit smaller. This looks like a really nice piece of work that could go in any room in the house. Well done.

-- chris, north wales http://salemchapelfurniture.co.uk/

View pintodeluxe's profile

pintodeluxe

3556 posts in 1561 days


#2 posted 01-30-2013 09:55 PM

While building a pair a dressers this month, I set one of the web frames in backwards. Glued the show face of the web frame to the back of the dresser. Luckily I caught it in time. I did the same thing you did – let the glue dry, then go about cleaning it up.
The table is looking good. What is your plan for the drawer construction?

-- Willie, Washington "If You Choose Not To Decide, You Still Have Made a Choice" - Rush

View Douglas's profile

Douglas

312 posts in 1308 days


#3 posted 01-30-2013 11:52 PM

Willie – I’m going to do half blind dovetails, with 1/2” poplar for the sides & back. As the drawer fronts are continuous pieces with the front apron, I have only one chance to get them right. So I’m “practicing”, making 2 drawers with some leftover red oak for the fronts first. Once I get those down, I’ll make the two with the cherry. Here’s the first joint of the first test drawer…

not too shabby as a warmup, but not final quality either.

-- Douglas in Chicago - http://dcwwoodworks.com

View Lee A. Jesberger's profile

Lee A. Jesberger

6699 posts in 2728 days


#4 posted 03-19-2013 01:54 PM

Taking it apart and doing it over was the right way to go. It’s either deal with a small set back, or let it be wrong forever. Pretty easy choice if you ask me.

Lee

-- by Lee A. Jesberger http://www.prowoodworkingtips.com http://www.ezee-feed.com

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase