With the legs and stretchers all ready, it was time to assemble the base. A dry fit revealed a few adjustments were needed for some of the mortises; a couple weren’t deep enough by about 1/8”. Some chisel work cleared that up. I then drilled out the holes for the pegs, marked and drilled the drawbore holes in the tenons. I went with about 3/32” of inset on the 3/8” pegs.
Assembly, with Titebond extend as the glue, went well. The pegs went in tight but smooth, after tapering them with a manual pencil sharpener. The joints snugged up tightly, and I was really pleased with the fit of the joints. After letting it cure overnight, I cut off the pegs, did some glue removal and sanding, it looked great. Everything was super square.
I set that aside, and started on milling up the top material. I rough cut them to 4 1/2”, giving me plenty of extra to adjust them down to the final 4”. Then the jointing and planing, which was a lot of work. There were 22 4 1/2” x 8’ boards to work through. My 6” jointer and 13” planer held up, and several hours later, the were stacked to sit overnight.
Tomorrow I’ll do final dimensioning and hopefully glue up.
-- Douglas in Chicago - http://dcwwoodworks.com