I made a lot of progress this past week. After getting the top together and cut to shape, I fitted it onto the sliders, and attached the tabletop levelers, to see how that would work, and to take a look at it all with the leaf pieces in place̷...
|View Douglas's:||home||workshop||projects (15)||blog (17)||reviews (0)||forum topics (8)||buddies (1)||favorites (41)||activity log|
170 posts in 728 days
I'm an enthusiastic hobbyist woodworker, professional computer consultant, lifelong musician. Since 2010, I've been pursuing a passion for woodworking, learning both modern techniques and traditional hand tool methods for building furniture and trim carpentry. I've been inspired to learn about Chicago's rich Craftsman, Prairie, and Arts & Crafts tradition, and by my own modest 1903 frame house's style and decor. I've applied those aesthetics and philosophies to my own interests, and found a unique outlet to express myself. I blog and post about my woodworking adventures at http://dcwwoodworks.com
-- Douglas in Chicago - http://dcwwoodworks.com
Latest Activity | view all »
Latest Projects | view all 15 »
Latest Blog Entries | view all 17 »
I’ve made a lot of progress in the last few weeks. First I marked up the lumber, orienting grain and appearance for the various parts… Then I proceeded to cut everything to rough size. Laying out the curved pieces for the...
I was able to make it out to my hardwood supplier today, with cut list and measuring tape in hand. I made for the quarter sawn white oak section, and went to town. I quickly realized my cut list was overly optimistic regarding the widths I would f...
After finishing a windows seat/banquette in my kitchen, I needed a table to go in front of it. For the design, I want several things: - single pedestal- split top to accommodate leaves- mission style, qtr sawn white oak- octagonal top I̵...
I finally had time this past week to finish the table. I tried some test pieces to see which approach to take. I knew wanted to use shellac, and that I possibly wanted to use oil first. So, I created four test finishes on cutoffs, sanded to 220...