Recently Big Al, i.e. “Boxguy” posted a jig he had built for cutting accurate mitre joints. I built one this afternoon, and thought I would share my attempt at making the same jig. Total cost for the jig was around $17.00 – - the all in one clamp. The time was 2 1/2 hours. MDF remnants, left over material from other projects, and junk drawer parts finished it to this point. Still have to finish up the stop system, but was anxious to use it today, so will add the stop tomorrow.
the position of the plane handles really make it easy to use & safe. I cut one box this afternoon and the joint was “dead on” perfectly square and a perfect 45º —I’m a happy camper, as just the elimination of cranking the blade over was my goal; and the repeatable precision is of course the grail ! Going to use it for a while to find any “bugs” then will make a “pretty” one out of a more durable material.
-- Dave, Kansas City