LumberJocks

Workshop Development #87: Making more progress on the shop. Made it a mess again...

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by dbhost posted 02-10-2014 03:26 PM 635 reads 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 86: Ladders stored, paint, shelves done, and a mess of cleaning! Part 87 of Workshop Development series Part 88: Quick and dirty 20 minutes in the shop. More drywall up! »

I made some headway this weekend in the shop. I got the dust collection ducting installed. I went a bit OCD on it so it took me a while to get installed correctly, but it is where it needs to be!

I got the table saw fixed, and verified. So now that I am confident in my saw again, I put the access cover back on the housing, bolted everything back up, and reinstalled the extension wing for the saw. It is all tight, and level now… Ready to go…

And last, but certainly not least, I got the short wall piece between the doors insulated with that expanding foam insulation. A couple of items I noticed about the expanding foam. The DIY packs they sell of that stuff empty out WAY too fast! but it does expand really nicely… I bet if I redid all of my insulation with this stuff my house would float away in a flood!

Anyway, for more detail, and photos, like always you can see my blog http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com/2014/02/busy-weekend-working-on-table-saw-wall.html

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com



3 comments so far

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

3674 posts in 1851 days


#1 posted 02-10-2014 04:23 PM

I used that foam once, but I can’t even remember the time and place. Our master bedroom addition was done with urethane foam throughout. Didn’t get a huge amount done yesterday in the shop, but did complete most of a jig to make thin strip ripping faster. I got it from Shop Notes. It is fairly close to their design, but used what I had on hand, different size bearing, knob, and oak instead of hardboard for the guide strips. It will be another in a growing list of things to post.

Today is going to be busy with two inductions. Off to the races….......................

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

View dbhost's profile

dbhost

5386 posts in 1918 days


#2 posted 02-10-2014 05:02 PM

I am looking forward to my next steps. LOML is insisting I make the dust hood and connections for the miter saw. She wants the freezer out there and wants it safe from sawdust…

Who am I to argue right?

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

3674 posts in 1851 days


#3 posted 02-11-2014 07:16 AM

The miter saw in La Conner definitely sprays a lot of sawdust, even when connected to its dust collector. I am afraid at some point I will have to get a real DC like I have here in Anchorage. The Delta has thoroughly spoiled me. And I think a hood is the only answer. With the RAS, my dust control is quite amazing now, but it is predicated on the saw doing 90 degree crosscuts. I need to build a couple of simple jigs for it to cut angled stuff, and perhaps the dust collection will continue to be good.

It is nice when our wives demand we do more things in and to our shop…..............(-:

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase