LumberJocks

Workshop Development #55: Filling the clamshell cabinets to clear up space, and cleaning out racks.

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by dbhost posted 08-15-2012 06:43 PM 1533 reads 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 54: Of all the stupid things. Peg hooks. Part 55 of Workshop Development series Part 56: Getting stuff out of the way... »

Last night was relatively productive. I finished re-loading the clamshell cabinets. However somehow this time, I seem to have come up with a more efficient peg configuration than I had previously, It may be the new hooks, but WAY more stuff fits now. I am going to take photos of the layouts so I can re-stuff the cabs this way when they go back on the wall…

Once the clamshell cabs were done, I started reorganizing things on the lawn and garden shelving, and made more space for the remaining items in the black plastic shelving unit in the shop… I have more to go, like leftover tile, however LOML and I BOTH hate the tile we have in the house so I am wondering why even bother. I should get rid of it…

I have several items that I need to get rid of that I have not yet put on Craigslist, most notably my old B&D Firestorm miter saw and stand, and the Firestorm router. I have offered them up to my church as donations if they can use them. If they don’t need it, I will post them on Craigslist and dump them off…

I have decided to break down the original miter saw hood to harvest and recycle the lumber from it. At the very least, I can use some of it for drawer sides / backs for my new miter saw bench… Still need material for the bottoms though…

I had a couple of soft sided beer coolers I use for fishing trips that got moved up to the attic (I am going to have to end up redoing the attic stairs soon I fear!). I have the coolers I prefer folded up under the back seat of the truck anyway…

I have some appliance repair to do here as soon as parts come in (dryer blew out again) and a dryer vent I am getting cleaned because obviously I am not getting it sufficiently clean… This is the third time the hi limit fuse has blown out… And there is very, very little lint in the dryer itself…

We are getting closer, inch, by inch… And with that comes the next issue… What the heck to do with the lawn and garden stuff? LOML and I hired a service, so I really don’t use most of it any more… But I hate to get rid of it. Might just be time to build that shed after all…

As soon as the lathe, and band saw are out of the way, and the DC ducting is down and stowed, I am going to start taking pics of the demolition phase… Sheetock is coming down soon!

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com



3 comments so far

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

3684 posts in 1909 days


#1 posted 08-16-2012 02:34 PM

Taking a couple days off, which, including my ususal 3 day weekend makes five days. By the quirks of things, there has been too much time between longer vacations, and just needed a break.

I have owned a couple of those metal sheds you buy at the hardware store, and they do work for a number of years. The shed we have now is much better however, and was custom built from wood (hired that out). Nothing beats wood for appearance and long term utility. You might throw something together that is meant to be temporary, so you could make it easy to break down and reuse the wood at a later date in the real shed…..........

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

View dbhost's profile

dbhost

5387 posts in 1977 days


#2 posted 08-16-2012 02:47 PM

When I was typing up my blog entry yesterday, I had some ideas, maybe good, maybe horrible, not sure. But ideas none the less that would solve the problem at hand… Specifically, I have the “ugly side” of the privacy fence on my lot. My neighbor has a fence based shed on his side of the line, that he uses as a small garden shed. I was thinking of doing something similar, just making sure that the roof / slope does NOT go over the top of the fence to avoid any possible HOA issues, I could literally get away with building pole supports, a small roof, and a locking door. Lay down a gravel floor and make sure it locks. It doesn’t have to be water tight, just keep the majority of stormy stuff out. This would help me make better use out of an otherwise wasted area of lot anyway.

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

3684 posts in 1909 days


#3 posted 08-17-2012 03:45 PM

That sounds like a plan. Just keep it simple, use screws instead of nails. It would be something you could tear down quickly without destroying the wood, if you decided to do something different later. Use a penetrating stain /sealer like Olympic and then you could paint over the wood when you reused it. In your climate, I would buy treated wood and stain the pieces before construction. Aluminum or fiberglass corrugated roof. Bet you could build it in a day.

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase