Not exactly woodworking, but close enough. #4: Well, they were projects anyway...

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by dbhost posted 09-20-2010 04:15 PM 1177 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 3: Breaking in the new shop dog... I am exhausted! Part 4 of Not exactly woodworking, but close enough. series Part 5: Just because the Tramadol says it doesn't hurt, doesn't make it so! »

So I had a few things on my to do list this weekend. For starters, I have been driving the pickup for the last month as the safety inspection sticker on the Saturn had expired, and the brakes were squeaking, that would instantly fail me… So after work on Friday, I went to Auto Zone, and grabbed a set of Ceramic pads. Now I do NOT have a brake lathe anywhere near me, but I DID resurface my rotors. How those of you with inquiring minds ask. Simple… I have made a conical chuck to hold the rotors to the faceplate of my wood lathe. Now I am not actually turning with a metal cutting but, but rather simply using some 120 grit sandpaper on a sanding block to knock the glaze off the rotors. It is hokey I know, but it works…

So with brakes done, (and after having everything ripped down and seeing about 30% pad left, and being annoyed) I moved on…

Saturday, a nice dreary, wet, mucky day due to the spin offs from hurricane Karl I think it was, so interior projects were attacked. the broken garbage disposal (there are certain things I do NOT recommend you EVER smell in your life, a dead garage disposal disconnected from the P trap is one of them…) This job actually went amazingly fast. This was a huge upgrade to. The house had a CHEAP 1/2 HP Emmerson disposal, I know have a 1 HP In-Sink-Erator in there. It has NO problems doing its job…

And lastly, the bathroom that is in the middle of being remodeled. More of the wallpaper has come off, the divots where the dog had chewed into the sheet rock have been filled, dried, and sanded, and I am now taking off of sanding the wallboard.

On a shop related note, I did size and mount up the 2×4 mounting cleats, at a more or less 22.5 degree angle, to mount up my Grizzly air cleaner.

All in all a reasonably productive weekend, especially considering I got dragged over to the far west side of Houston to visit with my sister in law, and nephew…

-- Please like and subscribe to my YouTube Channel

2 comments so far

View Jordan's profile


1400 posts in 3124 days

#1 posted 09-20-2010 09:14 PM

Hey, we have a Saturn too! it’s a 2001 and things are just starting to go on it bit by bit.


View dbhost's profile


5711 posts in 3231 days

#2 posted 09-20-2010 09:22 PM

Yep, mine’s an ‘01 SL2. Actually, the brakes had plenty of pad left. Not sure WHY, but the little squeaker tab to let you know you ran out of pad was bent WAY out so that it came into contact with the rotor FAR too early… The car has less than 85K miles on the clock… It’s holding up okay.

-- Please like and subscribe to my YouTube Channel

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics