LumberJocks

Not quite in the workshop... #21: So what actually got done?

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by dbhost posted 07-12-2010 05:39 PM 793 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 20: The weather is holding out, and a big list for the weekend... Part 21 of Not quite in the workshop... series Part 22: Been gone a while, not much, but some done... »

On Friday, I posted a list of projects I was planning on attacking this weekend… It was overly ambitious, and completely unattainable being married and having a wife with other ideas of how my time should be spent… So what actually got done?

#1. Run by Lowes and grab 4 more sheets of R-Max R5 foil backed 3/4” foam board (to finish garage door insulation project). Some 2×12’s for a scaffolding deck, and a single piece of Hardi Soffit, no holes, Cedar Mill texture.

Done, more or less. I got 2×8’s for rebuilding a water heater stand instead of worrying about the scaffolding right now. Too many other irons in the fire as it were…

#2. I have the initial cleat started, so start running the straight / level line to existing posts, trim them to height,

Done. The measuring / marking / cutting and installing the top, middle, and bottom rails,rot boards, and pickets as far as I can go went on the back burner due to time constraints…

#3. On Sunday set 2 remaining posts and pour the concrete. Finish staging materials out of shop and into back yard ready to finish up.

Not even close... Not that this wasn’t a good plan, but the soil is still pretty muddy down 6” or so and is just not ready for concrete yet.

#4. Measure between corner post and first post for gate opening, finalize sizes and build gate frame. #5. Finish leveling new posts, installing rails, and final batch of pickets. #6. Install gate latch hardware.

I am lumping these together mostly because they rely on #3 to be done before I can do them. So they are waiting…

#7. Mow, edge, and weed eat my lawn.

Done. At least in front. The back is mowed, but boy do I need to take the weed eater back there! I also need to spend some quality time with gardening gloves pulling weeds…

#8. Mow and weed eat BILs lawn. (he is unable to, thank God he doesn’t have any edge work…)

Nope. Had to pass. BIL wasn’t feeling up to the trip, I need to get a mower over to his place and maybe volunteer another of the brothers or in laws to help here…

#9. Measure and cut Hardi material for the post between, and the trim around the garage doors.

Well, I have the material, I just didn’t get too far with it…

#10. Start on the upsizing the Thien cyclone separator ports. I have the template for the side inlet ready to go, and I have a 5’ joint of snap lock pipe, just need to cut it to length, mark and make my cuts in the plastic, and do the install, and plug up the top hole for the original elbow…

Started, not done, but started. The nipple was marked, and cut 6” long, I discovered that the 5” snap lock is EXACTLY the same OD as the HF Wye fitting. I need to grab one of those wrinkly shrinker tools for the end so that I can reduce it a hair, and slide the hose over it. I have the template for the side inlet taped to the barrel, and am ready to start drilling / cutting. I am a bit concerned about machining the side inlet pipe, mostly because I went through Dremel Cut off wheels like crazy trying to cut the snap lock pipe…

Not on my original list, but worth noting…

Picked up a new project. LOML and I picked up a second hand convertible crib, and changing table for a song, but we had to drive 70 miles to pick it up. Made for a long day in the truck. The wood on the crib is in excellent condition, but there are some teething marks, and spots where it had been bumped up against drywall. So this is a refinish project. The changing table has some minor problems, which make for me having to re-do one of the shelves from scratch, and will likely redo all 3 to make the thing sturdier, and safer.

The plan as of now, is to refinish this set, fix the trays, etc… set it up as a Full size bed in the middle bedroom, and use it as guest room furnishings until we are blessed with a baby, and at that point, configure it back to a crib…

Of course if I can’t find the right stain to go back to original and just touch up the original finish, I will have to strip this all the way down and refinish the entire thing. Not something I am looking forward to…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com



2 comments so far

View Robb's profile

Robb

660 posts in 2688 days


#1 posted 07-12-2010 08:54 PM

We just picked up a similar used crib. I want no part of refinishing it, either :).

-- Robb

View dbhost's profile

dbhost

5387 posts in 1986 days


#2 posted 07-12-2010 09:13 PM

I am not sure, but I think I found the stain for it. Should be a matter of sanding down the teething marks, cleaning it up well with a tack cloth after insuring that he finish is feathered in, stain, blend, repeat until right, then apply the satin poly. According to Minwax that is non toxic. Not so sure about that, need to verify…

One item I failed to mention in the list above, is tear out, clean out, and replace 25×48” chunk of sheet rock in the ceiling of the middle bedroom. I have just recently fixed a leak that we discovered in the A/C drain line (busted PVC) which caused a leak in the ceiling. I am trying to avoid mold… Anyway so the sheetrock is all new, just needs to be taped and mudded…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase