LumberJocks

Not quite in the workshop... #14: Shop projects more or less on hole. (expletive deleted) Masonite siding!

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by dbhost posted 06-14-2010 01:52 AM 829 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 13: From Disco Inferno, to the Victory Dance! Part 14 of Not quite in the workshop... series Part 15: New puppy, fences, and making space in the shop... »

So I am busting my rump trying to get the fence line level, and ready for installing the fence as you may or may not know, when I happened to glace between the side of the house, and the fence and saw something funny…

What on earth could it be? Upon closer inspection, it came to light that, well my attic was apparently well illuminated due to the absolute failure of the existing Masonite siding. Or to sum that up. The cheap siding on the gables fell off…

Now if the truck was empty, which i it isn’t I still have about 1/3 of a cubic yard of soil in it, I would have just run to Home Depot, or Lowes, bought the Hardi panel, rented a scaffold, and gotten the job done right, but having a full truck, and too many OTHER problems right now, I eneded up fishing through my shop for… Well guess…

If you guessed a sheet of Masonite T1-11 siding, you are absolutely right.

You see a few years back, I needed plywood as a hurricane approached the coast, and none was to be found, but the old OLD lumberyard I went to had a few sheets of Masonite T1-11 left over that they let me have cheap. I used some to cover my windows, the rest got stashed in a stack behind the lathe. I had no clue I would ever actually use the stuff for anything other than hurricane prep…

So out came the circ saw, the compressor, air hose, pnuematic stapler with what I thought were sufficiently long 1” staples, angle gauge etc… Measured it up, marked it off, cut if up, and slapped it up there, after a few false starts… And then trouble in paradise… The 1” staples go nowhere. I had to resort to my HF framing nailer to tack the thing to the framing, and then ran a total of 4 galvanized framing nails in place, THEN I finished it up with staples… Go figure…

Anyway, so that piece is up there, no more hole tot he attic, just hope no birds got in there when the side of the house was open.

In all fairness, the side of the house could not have been open more than 24 hours, I was over on that side of the house yesterday evening pulling weeds and would have noticed the sheet of Masonite down, and we had a particularly strong wind blow through last night. I figure it came down sometime in the overnight hours.

I did make one REALLY nasty mistake in the project though. I had a pull off rail from the original fence that was in the yard, and it appears that I forgot to pull ALL of the nails out of it. My right foot hurts like, well the opposite of heaven to say the least…

So go back and check my Tetanous records, 2005, they are good for 10 years, so I should be fine… But boy oh boy this hurts…

Pretty much cooked my head out there working on this thing, my foot hurts, and my muscles are now complaining about all this lifting, nailing, sawing, screwing and whatnot that I am just not putting everything up for now. It is all sort of sitting in the mud room, locked up, and LOML isn’t fussing. I got her curtains in the kitchen hung up first, she’s happy…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com



2 comments so far

View woody57's profile

woody57

646 posts in 2172 days


#1 posted 06-14-2010 02:55 AM

sounds like one of my days this past week

-- Emmett, from Georgia

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

3684 posts in 1909 days


#2 posted 06-14-2010 04:58 AM

My, you have a very adventurous house. Serendipitous things happening all the time. Must be the bayou gods, or whatever. We have the wind spirits here, believe it or not, gusts up to a 100 mph, just noted as windy conditions. Fortunately, doesn’t happen but every 5 years or so. Mountain stuff, we are surrounded by mountains. Rips off the shingles though.

Well the MDF gods got me today. After working in SU to design a very large panel sled, kind of a quick and dirty project….that’s my latest thing…......for a very definite purpose…......went out to the shop to move the 4×8 sheet of MDF over to a couple of my project tables, to be sawed up with a brand new blade on my circlular saw. Took one too many shortcuts. I got it over to the tables with my TROLL ripoff I made some time ago, and tried to hoist it up on the tables. But another table was in the way. Should of moved it, easy, didn’t, suffered. Old codgers sometimes have very thin skin on the back of their hands and forearms, I am so afflicted.

So got to make this big panel sled, so I can precisely square my project table top, hopefully so that it will have reference angles on it. Long drawn out project, didn’t know what I was getting into, but getting close to done.

Making chicken soup tonight, Sherie is at a hobby class, been at it for about 4 hours. Reading my Kindle while my soup cooks and my wound stops bleeding. On the porch, Kermit on my shoulder, low 60’s here, bright and sunny.

Have a good one…..............summertime…...........

Jim

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase