After an insanely bad last 3 weeks (you guys were wondering where I was right?) I got back into the shop for a couple of hours this weekend. Not to do any woodworking projects, but to work on the sop environment some more…
I needed this shop time as a sort of Therapy. Like I said, the last 3 weeks have been truly awful. My sister in law went into the hospital due to complications of a long term fight with cancer. LOML and I were supposed to go to Oregon to visit with other relatives, but ended up in Ohio for my sister in law’s funeral. I come back to Texas, and my brother in law ends up in the emergency room for pnuemonia. And then the day he gets out of the hospital, my 14 year old Labrador died… Follow that up with a lousy week at work that ended up with a long term colleague of mine no longer being employed… I am grateful it wasn’t me… So yeah, I needed shop therapy…
Of course my wife wants me to talk about these things….
I guess she forgot about the differences between men and women somewhere over the years… I want to build, clean, fix, or take down something. That is how I am wired.
On Friday night, I spent probably about 2 hours cleaning the junk that came into my shop from my truck tool box off of the table saw, and made places for them, mostly on the black plastic shelving. I also got to test out my new / replacement HF 16 ga finish nailer (warranty replacement, long stupid story, just glad they gave me one that worked). and of course re-pegged a bunch of stuff on my peg board. I am now at the point where I think I am going to need a clam shell type cabinet with peg board inserts.
Friday also saw 4 sheets of 3/4” R5 foil backed foam insulation follow me home. Combine that with a liberal application of Liquid Nails for Projects, and I ended up with one of my 2 overhead doors fully insulated.
I’ve gotten most of my strong tie workbench cleaned off as well. Flower pots, link belts, and all sorts of other unrelated junk just needed to go!
I took the opportunity to fill LOMLs new cedar planter box with potting soil, so it is ready for plantings, and of course took the splitting maul to the stump in the back yard that is waiting to be burned out. I can bury the head of the maul halfway into the stump now. It is ready to be burned out I believe… I will be happy when all that is left of that stupid stump is a hole in the ground…
So the insulation in the attic is done, one of the overhead doors is done, and the stump is ready to get lit when I have a full, dry day to work with… My next steps, AFTER the stump is burnt out are…
#1. Finish pulling out what remains of the back fence including posts except of course the common posts with the neighbors fence sections.
#2. Install my new fencing, including a 36” gate. This will get all that pressure treated and cedar lumber out of my shop finally!
#3. Insulate the second rollup door.
#4. Borrow a friends 10×30 cargo trailer, and try to make my entire shop minus workbenches fit inside. Roll it to my BIL’s storage lot.
#5. Prep and epoxy coat the floor.
#6. Yank every bit of sheet rock from the east, and west walls, and the between doors portion of the south wall.
#7. Install and test sub panel, circuits, insulation etc…
#8. Install fresh sheet rock, tape & float.
#9. Paint entire inside of shop except floor of course, white
#10. Install rack systems.
#11. Move shop back in, and give trailer back…
#12. Run and test permanent DC plumbing.
-- Manufacturer of fine quality sawdust since 1984. Comments and advice on my shop welcome. Check it out at http://lumberjocks.com/dbhost/workshop. Gladly accepting shop build donations!