LumberJocks

Not exactly woodworking, but close enough. #1: Spending quality time with a sander, and a paintbrush...

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by dbhost posted 03-15-2010 04:11 PM 902 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
no previous part Part 1 of Not exactly woodworking, but close enough. series Part 2: Well okay, not exactly FINE woodworking... Painted Trellis for Joseph's Coat rose bush. »

Before anyone asks, Photos are pending, the batteries in my cam are dead, I need to buy a pack of Lithium Ion AA batteries first!

I don’t know about you guys, and gals, but I actually enjoy painting…

You see my formal education is in art, and I don’t get an excuse to pick up a brush nearly often enough. I have actually recently been considering doing some painted panels, but that’s not the point of this entry, like usual I digress in strange directions…

When I was in the bachelor phase, I had a roomate, with an Alaskan Malamute, which if you are unfamiliar with those dogs, they are absolutely beautiful. Well this dog was also a scratcher, and for the last 3 + years I have had some bad scratches, and paw prints that simply would NOT wash out, so with our gorgeous weekend weather, out came the ROS, and contrary to the advice I gave another user to not use 80 grit, I started with 80, and worked my way up to 320 until I was through the paint, and to wood, then on went a coat of Kilz, and finally a coat of paint. After a little less than a day of dry time, I got to looking at it this morning, and it was a thing of beauty. Perfect match to the existing trim color as it should be, sort of an eggnog color. Not my choice, but it’s what was on the house when I bought it… It’s easier to stick with the paint colors than it is to get approval from the HOA (A.K.A. the lawn Gestapo) to change colors…

After the door, I freshened up some of the trim along the back of the house, and went to work on the front yard, at least with the mower. The soil is still too wet to be edged or anything, so I left that for another day.

Now as I mentioned in a prior blog entry, LOML is HUGE on Pampered Chef, which we have enough of to spill out of our cabinets. SO the open space above the cabinets (floating walls) was put to use displaying the big bakers, and glass pitchers etc… The corner piece was a problem, but no more. A simple piece of 1/4” plywood was cut to cover the hole above the corner, however this sits somewhat proud of the top of the cabinet. No problem, we are going with a theme along the lines of what I would call Tuscan meets Tucson. Meaning we are using classical Italian and Southwestern / Mexican elements in our design. A quick trip to the craft store netted us some artificial grape vines and grape bunches which were dutifully arranged and nailed in place.

Mind you, I need to figure out how to strip off the existing stain / finish from the cabinet doors and drawer fronts, hit them with some sanding sealer, and the stain color / urethane we want. I literally have spots on my cabinets where the finish is worn through… Suggestions there would help…

Mind you, restaining the cabinets is a stopgap. In the long term I want to build raised panel doors and drawer fronts for this area…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com