Well, I found 4 2×4x8s of cedar following me home in the bed of my truck tonight. Not a bad deal considering Lowes had them for a lower price than I am used to seeing them around here. ($5.16 each, I am used to seeing $6.89 each). So I came home with them, and decided to squeeze some planing time in before 9:00, and got the dressed boards down to at least thickness before I had to wrap it up.
I have had my planer since Valentine’s day 2008, it was a gift from my wife. I love this planer, but tonight it did something I didn’t expect, and for reasons unknown… The elevation crank handle broke… It wasn’t obvious at first, but it WAS without a doubt broken. The square recess the shaft fits in simply split and spread.
It’s not like this was, or has ever been under a lot of stress, so I am unsure WHY it would break like this, but it did… I attempted to call Ryobi’s 1-800 number, but of course they are closed for the night, so I submitted a service request on their website. I am afraid they will make me take the entire thing to their authorized service center (BAD idea guys!). I hope they do the right thing and simply mail me the replacement piece and call it good…
I am going to cut the stock down to rough size tomorrow, edge joint one edge, then bring them to final size on the table saw…. This will all get stuck on plastic until Saturday morning in an effort to reduce twisting.
Saturday comes the Dado blade treatment, and adding the cleats (From scrap cedar. Setting the dowel pin holes and start sanding the pieces in prep for final assembly and finishing…
I know I have said this before, but this is getting awfully close, and I am getting anxious to seeing the end result of all this work. I am pretty sure my wife is too…
The remaining project for the weekend is to continue upholstering the kitty condo. I am done with the tiers except the top. The uprights are in the process of getting the rope wrapped around it. My Arrow electric brad nailer keeps jamming during the process, which involves periodic brand nailing, and lots of hot glue to keep the rope in place… I manged to burn my fingertips with the hot glue, again… I need to learn to work with some sort of gloves when I use that stuff. I just can’t keep it away from my fingers!
I managed to completely overrun the trash can dust bin again tonight, but this time, I didn’t get more than a gallon sucked up into the vac. Not sure why that is… It is amazing how fast 20’ of dust collection hose fills up with planer shavings!
All told I produced another 30 gallons or so of cedar planer shavings tonight. The flowerbeds are going to like the fresh layer for sure!
Well, the tools are put back up, the lights are out, and the shower has been taken. The shop is closed yet again. If my maker permits me the honor, I will continue to bring you updates to this experience. I am having a blast!
-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoa-AgyeFWqnQfGIJwdzkog