LumberJocks

FWW Workbench under way #4.

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by dbhost posted 09-03-2009 02:29 AM 906 reads 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch

The forstner bits came in today! (Can I get a woo hoo!?) and so I picked them off the porch and headed straight to the shop after I got home from work tonight…

While this isn’t meant as a review of the Grizzly forstner bits, I must say that this set is every bit as high quality as the porter cables they replace, AND they have plastic caps to protect the sharp edges when not in use to boot! To say the least the Forstner bits worked supremely!

The original Porter Cable 7 piece set, and Freud 1-3/8
The original Porter Cable 7 piece set, and Freud 1-3/8” bit just didn’t cut it size selection wise…

The Grizzly 31 pc set goes from 1/4
The Grizzly 31 pc set goes from 1/4” to 2” in 1/16” increments. And it sure is pretty…

So anyway, after unwrapping the bits, picking out my 1-1/16” bit that I needed for this project and cleaning it up (removing the cosmoline) with a little bit of mineral spirits, the legs were measured, re-measured, marked, and then double checked for accuracy, and finally, it was off to chuck the bit into my old Craftsman drill. (I left the Ryobi out due to the lack of built in levels to keep me lined up…)

Carefully setting the very sharp tip of the bit at exactly where my lines cross, level it up, pull the trigger and ZIP!

Good thing the drill bounced off my fat belly and onto the old workbench or I might have damaged the bit…

It seems there is a pretty good amount of resistance when using a big forstner bit, and the drill can sort of get away from you… I knew that already, but it seemed like today might have been a good day for my drill to give me a reminder to hold on tighter!

Back to drilling, keeping one eye on the bubble level to insure the bubble was in the bullseye, and the other eye on the progress of the bit, I drilled until the cutting head of the forstner bit sunk down into the workpiece, and then moved on to the next marking, marking each leg as to its position in the bench as I went…

Then out came the 3/8” drill bit. and of course the holes were drilled, and any blowout cleaned up afterwards…. I test fitted my all thread, and a nice tight fit was to be had…

The legs cut, and drilled, waiting for sanding, dowel holes, and assembly.
The legs cut, and drilled, waiting for sanding, dowel holes, and assembly.

The remaining piece of the base is to drill the dowel holes, and I cannot find my dowel centers, so this entry might just be my last one until Friday afternoon, when I hope to be able to pick up dowel centers from Woodcraft…

This is getting closer, and closer to done. I am totally stoked now… I will be glad when this one is done, I can have something I have been wanting for a LONG time added to my shop (a proper workbench, AND outfeed support for the table saw), plus I will have another project I can be reasonably proud of under my belt..

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com



3 comments so far

View a1Jim's profile

a1Jim

112828 posts in 2323 days


#1 posted 09-03-2009 02:34 AM

Looks like a great set plus good progress on the bench

-- http://artisticwoodstudio.com Custom furniture

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

8476 posts in 2394 days


#2 posted 09-03-2009 03:50 AM

I have that porter cable set…. it’s good, but as you mentioned – the sizes are limited… the grizzly set looks great – I like the fact that the shafts are straight and not round like other brands! congrats!

and the legs also look great!

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View dbhost's profile

dbhost

5387 posts in 1978 days


#3 posted 09-03-2009 04:59 AM

Yeah, I just got back in from the shop. Too hot to work anymore… I finished dressing the threads on the all thread where I cut them. and test fit the nuts, we are 100% ready there. I have the vise mount block being glued to the bottom of the bench top right now, and it’s in clamps as I type…

Since I can’t get to Woodcraft until Friday, I will do the sanding tomorrow night. Friday will be the D day as it were when I get the dowel centers, get the rest of the holes done, get the vise mount holes done, get the base assembled, get the top mounted, and just maybe get the first coat of oil on it. I am figuring on 2 -3 coats of oil, then PLENTY of wax…

As far as the forstner bit set goes, I was ready to pull the trigger on the 31 piece set from MLCS (Set #9143) for $99.95, and after talking to a couple of locals that have the smaller Grizzly sets, AND others that have the MLCS set, I came to the conclusion that these are most likely the exact same items, just coming from different retailers… The set I received looks 90% identical to the MLCS set my neighbor has except his has black paint on the painted areas, where the Grizzly is gray… And the Grizzly has the plastic caps, the MLCS does not… Considering the Grizzly got to my door for $42.00 less it wasn’t a hard choice to make…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase