LumberJocks

FWW Workbench FINALLY under way!

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by dbhost posted 1818 days ago 632 reads 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch

I’ve been putting it off due to other projects, and indecision on the top. Tonight the decision has been made, After having the spreaders cut for almost a month, the 4×4s for the legs came to me this past weekend, and are cut to length. (Kiln dried, stored in similar environment as my shop).

The Dado stack is in the table saw, and shimming it up I went just proud of 3/8” on my slots… I didn’t want to have to force the threaded rod into the slot…

And a quick measurement of the 3/8” washer gives me a dilema. According to my calipers, the 3/8” washer measure OD between 1.01” and 1.081”... Ooops…. My biggest current forstner bit in my set is 1”, and I have a single 1-3/8” Freud forstner bit. (Bought it for a different project). I guess I am going to have a bit more slack around my washer than I would like, but oh well…

The threaded rod is marked, but not yet cut, hopefully tomorrow night. I need to get it in the vise and get after it with a hacksaw and file…

For those that are wondering, the final decision for top is 3/4” cabinet grade plywood. I know it cost a bit more, but I am confident it will tolerate my humid environment better than MDF. I can always bob the legs later on if I want to go with a thicker top…

I received some advice from fellow LJ-ers to “celebrate” the Plywood edge. While I am intrigued by the idea, I am still planning on edge banding the ply with most likely Cedar. (I have a local source for Kiln Dried Cedar 2x stock…

Now I need to measure and double check how thick I need to make the mounting block for the vise….

I am getting stoked about seeing this thing getting done, with a finish and the vise on it, and in use…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com



6 comments so far

View a1Jim's profile

a1Jim

112008 posts in 2202 days


#1 posted 1818 days ago

sounds like good progress

-- http://artisticwoodstudio.com Custom furniture

View Innovator's profile

Innovator

3584 posts in 2038 days


#2 posted 1818 days ago

Off to the races, cant wait to see it.

-- Whether You Think You Can or You Think You Can't, YOU ARE RIGHT!!!

View dbhost's profile

dbhost

5378 posts in 1856 days


#3 posted 1818 days ago

I am not super happy with the quality of the stock I have to work with, but I did NOT want to use pressure treated, and kiln dried 4×4s are HARD to come by down here… I got the best ones I could find at McCoys but I remember easily finding MUCH better stock when I lived in Oregon… Guess I shouldn’t be surprised…

I am planning on sanding the pieces down real well prior to assembly, putting it all together, and then doing an oil & wax finish on it, I know it will get beat up and require re-application, but that finish should be real easy to re do quickly…

My deviations from the original plan are few, but they are pretty notable…

#1. Top lamination from the plan is 24”x62”. My plan modification calls for 24” x 70”. #2. I am planning on edging the top lamination with 1” thick stock. Have not decided on the species yet. SYP is a contender since the base is all SYP, but the top lamination will be most likely BB ply, or Red Oak ply… (Have not gotten the ply for the top yet). SO overall measurement of the top will be 26” D x 72” W x <1> Groz the plans call for.

Will post more progress as it happens. Anyone have a clue where to get the S-clips for the top?

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View treeman's profile

treeman

208 posts in 2074 days


#4 posted 1818 days ago

Sounds real good and that you are making progress.

The one thing I might do different is to use a hardwood for the banding around the top instead of cedar. I think cedar is probably too soft and the edges of a workbench will see a great deal of use.

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

8476 posts in 2273 days


#5 posted 1818 days ago

what I did in the past with slightly bigger washers – is to file them down a bit so that they can have a ‘perfect’ fit into the hole. makes the parts look nicer when you don’t have overlarge holes with a small washer in the middle.

looking forward to seeing some progress. this is a great bench design!

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View dbhost's profile

dbhost

5378 posts in 1856 days


#6 posted 1818 days ago

I might just use this as an excuse to upgrade my Forstner bits. I have been anything but happy with the bit selection from my Porter Cable bit set.

Amazon shows a pretty decent looking 31 piece bit set from Grizzly for a good price…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase