Last night I started this blog. You can see Part 1 here:
I started with the footboard and almost screwed it up. I thought dousing it with stripper could melt the glue. I had been told that professional refinishers will sometimes not dip old pieces in fear the piece will fall apart. So I scrubbed with denatured alcohol and scraped and sanded for days.
Then I got brave, bought a gallon of STRYPEEZE paint and varnish (and shellac) remover, put the pieces on saw horses and scrubbed with a nylon brush in the crevesses of the footboard and all of the headboard and runners. Then I filled a 2 gallon garden sprayer with lacquer thinner and washed and scrubbed the stripper off until the rubber O-ring turned to mush. It worked.
So here is the refinish schedule:
The first thing I did was wipe on BLO to the birdseye appliques. I continued to wipe on using control to just hit the birdseye parts. The birdseye really soaked up the BLO. I probably put on 5 or 6 coats not letting the BLO cure completely between coats.
The stain (mark?) in the birdseye on the top of the headboard was deep. The previous owner said her grandmother was an avid reader in bed and thought it was burned in by a light bulb. I didn’t try to remove it.
I added 5 drops of reddish brown transtint to 7 ounces of Zinsser Sealcoat shellac and applied to bare wood, including the birdseye using a rubber. I switched to a foam brush which was faster for me. I would cut the shellac straight from the can about half if I had a do over. I wanted a little bit of reddish background and not all brown as the final color. I applied two coats and sanded very lightly after the second coat with a 320 grit abralon pad. I then liberally applied Watco oil/varnish (danish oil) Medium Walnut, not light, not dark, but medium, let it sit and wiped it off. The expanse of flat surface was perfect for this application. Before it fully cured I applied another liberal coat, let it sit and wiped off just before it got real tacky. The final step was applying Briwax dark brown using 4 naught steel wool. And a buff with an old tee shirt and a soft brush. This is the outcome:
And next up:
Sorry, I gotta work on my photography.
It’s not real woodworking but not a bad tween project. While only a typical amatuer refinishing job with some minor repair work, I’m pretty satified with the outcome. A great learning experience. The ease of using todays finishing materials make this work a breeze. My little girl deserves real wood!
Thanks for looking
-- God is great, wood is good. Let us thank Him for wood......and old hand tools.