Another cross cut sled, big woopee. While not my intention, this cross-cut sled is too big, too heavy, but is square to a gnat’s behind and can handle 20” wide board. Rather than tell you how great it is, I’m going to tell you the problems I had and what I would do differently. But first, thanks to Alaska Jim for PMing me to get off my duff and finish the durn thing.
This behemoth being exactly the dimensions of my Grizzly cabinet saw top – 48” wide by 27” has over 20” of cut width. My eyes were bigger than my sawdust belly and besides, I had a piece of scrap 3/4” MDF that only needed a slight trim. But it’s too bi and too heavy. I would scale this bad boy back to no more than 38” wide and maybe 16” deep, maybe less both ways. Or better yet, just build a Nahm panel sled, forget the right side. The problem is (1) finding a place to store such a beast and (2) lifting it on and off the TS, which can’t be good for the alignment. But it is sturdy as all get out with not a hint of wobble, and slides like butter on ice. I waxed the bottom a couple times.
I used a piece of 2×4 pine stud for the front fence (or front support) and a conglomeration of 1×4 white oak for the back fence. I glued up the two oak boards thinking a 1.5” wide back fence should be fine. I also initially made the back fence about 1 foot longer than the long dimension of the sled. I though I could clamp on the occasional stop, and the extension would give more support to the material being milled. The problem was (3) even after careful glueup the resultant board was bowed slightly. It had a curve of about 3/16th” or so. So instead of just planing it square, I glued a cutoff onto the back thinking it would straighten out. It didn’t, completely. Most of the curve was in the extension. Here is the long fence with the additional piece on the back -
I ended up cutting off the extension and planing the back fence flat and square. Much better. The additional piece on the back did no harm and actually makes a strong fence.
I had two steel Jet replacement miter bars lying around and thought this would be a good use. I initially used double sided tape and screwed them to the front but here was the problem (4) since they don’t run the length of the sled, there was only minimal support near the end of the cut. The sled would wobble a slight bit as the bars slid more into the outfeed table slots. So I moved them to the back and it made all the difference. My recommendation, buy full length adjustable bars and forget about the hassle.
Notice one of the bars is directly in line with a bolt used to hold the back fence. This is my attempt at poor planning. Success.
The final problem (well there’s more but who has the time) was (5) I didn’t think it would be a big deal to cut the grooves for the two hold down t-tracks. This was a big headache because my router (and probably yours) is to big and wide to maneuver effectively on the sled platform. I ended up buying a trim router. That’s the excuse I used. The trim router worked much better, however I used a board cut to the length of the platform and used a tee square to line it up, then clamped it to the sled. This would work great as a guide however I was not consistent and used both the front and back fence to measure from using a tee square. The fences are not perfectly square to each other by about an 1/8 and the groove is wider by that much at one end. Thank goodness for wood putty. I try not to notice. No pictures of that mess. Remeber for the sled to work, the front and back fence do not need to be square to each other, only the saw blade to the back fence.
I used double sided tape and either #6 or #4 by 3/8” screws, to secure the t-track, #14 by 2” screws to secure the front support, and 5/16” bolts with self locking nuts on the back fence. And slathered it with BLO a couple of times.
Here are a couple pics of the cuts and applications. The gap is less than a 64th, no light shines through a square
A 19” wide 1/8” thick walnut plywood piece cut to length.
The t-track and two hold downs are obviously from Rockler. The kit cost $30 but the deal is that the better Rockler hold downs were included in the kit, making them cost $5 each. I couldn’t make them for much less and they work well. The t-track for the future fence stop was a separate purchase. As an afterthought a stop on such a short fence is probably not worth it. Thanks for looking.
-- God is great, wood is good. Let us thank Him for wood......and old hand tools.