On the way to restoring an older 12” King-Seely bandsaw, I ran across this Rockwell (Delta) model 28-200 open stand 14” bandsaw born in 1980 or 81. Thanks MedicKen for helping with the date. I bought it off the local CL, and probably paid a few $$ more than I should have. Such is life. 14” bandsaws like this don’t come up to often in these parts. It had been neglected and oversprayed with paint, more than twice. The overspray was so thick, I couldn’t find the tag for a few day until I saw where it is located from an OWWM picture. Because the construction of this model bandsaw is rock simple, I pretty much tore it down, stripped the rust and gunk, replaced some parts, and now I’M THE PROUD OWNER OF A RESTORED BS.
Here we go:
So the first thing was to clean that table, using a razor blade, WD-40 and 600 grit wet-dry. It turned out to be in pretty good shape with three 1/4” drill holes, some scratches along edges, but no warping,
I took off the upper guide assembly but the cleanup went so fast I didn’t take any pics. Next I got set up to put on new tires, the 2 for $29 Rocklers deal. No complaints so far,
I had to drill new holes in the stand because this motor is about twice the size as the original. I wired it up with 3-12 cord and put on a 15 amp toggle switch in a hole on the side of the stand. I think it came original with a toggle switch at this location, here it is finished.
I also put on a link belt. The vibration now verses when delivered is like night and day. It will pass a standing penny test. The whole restoration went much smoother than I thought it would. Thanks again MedicKen for the bearing help. The new tires were a snap to put on. Just get your setup right and they go right on. The motor and saw pulleys were easy to line up with a straight edge. I may put on a 1-1/2hp motor and use the Jet motor for the 12” restore. The new spring made all the difference and the saw will cut 4/4 oak like butter. Before it would bog down. I believe the right tension is the key. Of course making sure all of the guide assemblies are adjusted helps. I’m just using an old 3/8” blade that came with it. Just playing around I cut a 12” length of 1/32” veneer off a 1×6 pine board just guiding by hand. I may add a riser block at some point. I left most of the overspray on the cast iron, it adds character, and would be a real PITA to remove. Lastly, I would like to install a detensioner but at $150, I think I’ll follow Blake’s design and make my own.
OK I’m done. Thanks for looking.
-- God is Great, Wood is Good. nuff said.