Got down to carving the body and it went much faster and easier than I expected. Used a grease pencil for the carving lines because you can’t see pencil on this wood.
Borrowed a spokeshave from my dad that hadn’t been used in about 30 years. It sharpened up great and did the bulk of the removal.
The mahogany worked great and I was happy I hadn’t added more purpleheart because it was tearing out all over the place. Rasps and chisels on the inside corners and around the horns and it was starting to feel pretty good.
I realized at that point that the lower cutaway was still getting in the way of my hand a little bit. This was because I used a standard SG plan which has a glued in neck that includes a tenon that extends well into the body of the guitar. I’m using a premade bolt on neck and I had to leave lots of wood to bolt to and so I placed the neck further into the body than a regular SG would be. So after the initial carving I went back and deepened the lower cutaway with the bandsaw and re-carved the horn. A good going over with scrapers and sandpaper and all the sharp edges were gone. Starting to feel pretty sexy!
Next stop a whole bunch of sanding and sealing and filling to get ready for finish!