LumberJocks

Pine Country Cabinet

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by David Murray updated 1614 days ago 8 parts 7103 reads 18 comments total

Part 1: Panel cutting and glue up

1669 days ago by David Murray | 4 comments »

I started my newest project today. The latest issue of Wood magazine has a Pine Cabinet on the cover that will go very well in our kitchen at home. I am also going to build a second one or at least the lower half for my nephew who is getting married in July. This is the stack of lumber to start. Hopefully this is what it will become over time.This is a scanned photo from Wood magazine. Today I cut sides and bottom of base cabinet to length, and glued up the panels. I am going to ...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Sanding, sanding and more sanding of the glued up panesl

1663 days ago by David Murray | 1 comment »

Every wood workers favorite task, sanding. I figured that since I didn’t have much time this weekend to work on cabinet(helped my oldest son fix his car). I would do most of the sanding of the panels that I glued up. after I ripped and crosscut them to finished sizes I satrted sanding and then did some more sanding, and finally yet more sanding. Hopefully this will save having to sand in corners when cabinet is assembled. I also cut the slots for the biscuits. The cabinet is assembled e...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Glue up

1656 days ago by David Murray | 3 comments »

This weekend I did some more sanding of the large panels before assembly. i dry fitted the carcass together before using any glue. Looked good so I glued panels up.Holes drilled for shelf pins for adjustable shelf.then I added the face frame to the cabinet..I also spent some time making some other parts for the base of the cabinet and some more sanding. I figure the more sanding I do before assembly will save time in the long run. Hopefully next week I’ll get to the raised panel doors.

Read this entry »


Part 4: Base and back of cabinet

1650 days ago by David Murray | 2 comments »

This weekend I installed the bead boards on back of cabinet. I used 4” wide wainscoating boards 1/4” thick that I had left from a couple of other projects. This is maybe a better shot. Then I made and attached the base of the cabinet. After drying time removed clamps and placed right side up. I cut over sized boards and guled up panels for doors, also cut rails and stiles for said doors. Set them aside. I’ll plane them to 1/2” thick and cut to size tomor...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Doors and Hardware installation

1649 days ago by David Murray | 3 comments »

I made the raised panel doors, dry fitted them and glued up this morning. Sanded doors and mounted hardware. Mounted all the hardware and doors to make sure everything is as it should be. I have a little more finish sanding to do, then I’m going to paint it with Federal Blue milk paint and then clear coat it. Inside cabinet. Here’s a better picture of top.

Read this entry »


Part 6: Start of Finish Process

1628 days ago by David Murray | 1 comment »

It’s been a couple of weeks since I worked on this cabinet, mainly because I wanted to think about the finish I wanted to apply. I also built a couple of toddler cars in the mean time. One of our fellow LJ’s built in the past. I am going with Federal Blue milk paint and shellac. On the top due to being subject to some heavier wear and tear, I’m going to use spar urethane. Here are the doors after paint application and sanding with 400 grit paper. This is the shelf for ...

Read this entry »


Part 7: Almost "Finished"

1621 days ago by David Murray | 1 comment »

I feel like this project has taken forever, but when you have limited time and work on another project in the middle I guess it does. I have everything done but the Spar Polyurethane for the top (first coat was applied this morning). I chose spar for the top because it may be subject to spilled liquids being used in a kitchen. Here are some pictures of “almost finished cabinet”. A second view. A third view. And a view of closed cabinet. After painting with milk paint I...

Read this entry »


Part 8: Finish is Finished

1614 days ago by David Murray | 3 comments »

After several weeks of working on this project I’ve finished up. This past week I applied 4 coats of Spar Urethane and this is the finished project. One of inside. And one last one of outside. Now I’ll cover it up and put it in the corner until my nephew’s wedding in July. Hopefully they will get many years of use out of it. Now I can build one for my wife next. Thanks for looking.

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase