We’re heading into the details of the project. I completed the fretting this weekend. It is tedious but fun once you get going. I had a long roll of nickel fretwire that I cut pieces off and worked with my Dremel tool clamped to the drill press to create a little grinding workstation. The fretwire has tangs on it to hold into the fretboard. The tangs that would go into the fretboard binding (white plastic edging you see) have to be trimmed off to avoid ruining the binding.
Once trimmed, the wires were pushed into the board. The drill press had a radiused pressing block to do the pushing, instead of hammering. One of the books suggested starting with the long frets and working towards small so that mistakes can be reused. I saved a few inches of material from that tip.
Press Block in Drill Press; Dremel Workstation Clamped to Side
When all the frets were in I taped the sides all the way up the fretboard to serve as witness to my finish filing. After the fret ends were roughed to shape I removed what was left of the tape and used a small riffler file to remove the end burrs and smooth the ends. Then I used a 12” radiused block to level the frets. Careful! Nickel is softer than you think. I re-rounded the frets with a fret file and cleaned it all up with #1200 sandpaper.
Almost as an afterthought I drilled the bridge mounting holes and ran a grounding wire for the bridge into the control cavity.
Next will be making a string stop for the end of the neck out of brass.
-- Dave, New England - “We are made to persist. that's how we find out who we are.” ― Tobias Wolff