I drilled and chopped out the wire passages for the pickups then glued the beast to the neck with Titebond III.
It will weigh about 7#.
I should be able to trim some weight as I shape it.
Before gluing I cutout the body at the bandsaw with a 1/4” blade. I used the scrap as caul and I also had to put some tape on the top of the body to level it with the neck. The glue-up was done face down on a board and tapped into into alignment against the board while tightening the clamps.
Looks like the plan. So far no serious mistakes.
Should be fun for him to play!
-- Dave, New England - “We are made to persist. that's how we find out who we are.” ― Tobias Wolff