After what you saw last time I got busy with the cabinet scrapers. I used three, primarily. The most useful was a very flexible straight one to get into the chair seat and flex around the leg curves. I had to use a french curve scraper on some of the seat curves. And a medium flex straight scraper was pretty handy too. I sharpened them all at the beginning and resharpened the flexible one once. I spent 9 hours scraping.
Then I started sanding: 180, 240, 320, 400, 600 grits. I worked each one patiently, knowing that the main reason for swirls is no completing each grit. This spent 9 hours. (Remember this is my first one and I hope to get much faster).
I treated this hard maple with Watco Natural to pop the grain. And I’ve now started hand wipe poly with 600 grit between coats. I was a little disappointed in the light grain on the seat glue lines. Looking back this was much worse than it should have been because I used one long board to make the glue up. But nobody remarks about those grains except me.
I still need a few more coats of poly.
-- Dave, New England - “We are made to persist. that's how we find out who we are.” ― Tobias Wolff