LumberJocks

My First Router Table #4: Drawers and a Top

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Dave posted 1134 days ago 1730 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 3: Wiring Things Up Part 4 of My First Router Table series no next part

For me, this is a fun part of the project because it’s when things really start to come together.

I didn’t get any photos when I built the top but I basically glued together two sheets of MDF and added some laminate countertop from that big orange box store down the street. I trimmed it with red oak, chamfered the sharp edges, and stained it with a combination of TransTint Dye and General Finishes Candlelight.

The only unusual part about the top was an idea I had for mounting it to the cabinet. Before I glued the first piece of MDF to the 2nd piece, I pre-drilled it and added counter-sunk threaded inserts so I could just bolt the entire top to the carcass. That way, if I ever mess it up, I can make a new top and bolt it on without having to destroy the whole cabinet.

For the drawers I used birch plywood with maple faces (using some scrap I had lying around). I wanted to try my hand at making inset drawers so mounting things was challenging.

I used a Woodside Locking Miter Bit to cut the joinery at the corners of the drawer boxes. Using that bit on plywood wasn’t a fun experience. It made for lots of tearout and the bit likes to throw boards around – after one cut I made myself a nice stable jig to help me avoid kickback. I also learned near the end of the process that scoring the plywood before routing it helps reduce tearout a lot. Here’s a shot of one of the top drawers after I glued it up and mounted it to the blum drawer slides:

For the larger bottom drawers, I decided that the locking miter joints were too much of a pain, so I used plain-old rabbets. MUCH easier. Here’s a shot or two of the cabinet with all 7 drawers in place (the 8th is a dummy drawer to hide the crank for the sidewinder when it’s not in use):

Here’s a mockup of where the sidewinder’s crank will be. To test it, I built a quick and dirty drawer box, mounted the crank in it, and made sure everything ran smoothly. I’m still figuring out a way to slide the dummy drawer-front into place when the table’s not in use. If it’s too painful, though, I’ll just leave a crank in the last spot and call it a day:

The project is really coming together now. My next step is to trim up the drawers so they all fit smoothly and figure out how to re-align a couple of the drawers on the blum slides with the face frame…it was hard to get them to line up just right. For example, this drawer sits about 1/16th of an inch proud of the face frame:

For shop furniture that’s fine but since I’m also using this as practice for some “real” cabinetry, any thoughts on how to get this re-aligned without trial and error (there are only so many screw holes I can make before I need to build a new drawer box, LOL) would be appreciated!

-- "I'm not afraid of heights. I'm afraid of widths." - Steven Wright



1 comment so far

View David Grimes's profile

David Grimes

2072 posts in 1275 days


#1 posted 1133 days ago

Very nice work, Dave.

-- If you're going to stir the pot, think BIG spoon or SMALL boat paddle. David Grimes, Georgia

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase