LumberJocks

My First Router Table #2: The Router Table Carcass

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Dave posted 1027 days ago 2816 reads 1 time favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: The Design Part 2 of My First Router Table series Part 3: Wiring Things Up »

With a design in mind I bought a couple sheets of 4×8 Birch Plywood and got to work. I don’t have pictures of this part of the process, but the first thing I did was to lay out each piece of the carcass on a 4×8 rectangle in Sketchup so I could get check what’d fit and make sure my grain was all pointing in the right direction (at that point I was thinking I might stain the cabinet). I transferred those measurements to the actual plywood sheets.

When I marked things out, I picked a single edge of the plywood to be my reference. I laid out everything to be either perpendicular or parallel to that edge with a carpenter’s square and a single tape measure for all the dimensions. Then I cut everything to rough size with a circular saw and fine-tuned the sides afterwards with a plywood blade on the table saw. That made sure opposing sides were perfectly parallel and saved me the terror of ripping a 4×8 sheet on a contractor’s saw.

My design called for dado joinery so the next task was to cut 1/4” deep dado’s where I wanted shelves and supports. It went smoothly except for one thing: After finishing all the dado cuts I realized that my plywood varied just a hair in thickness across the sheet, so some of the dado’s were a few hundredths of an inch too narrow. Thankfully I’d set my dado stack based on the narrow end so I didn’t have to “uncut” anything. But, that left me with the challenge of doing a custom-width dado cut for each shelf or settling for sloppy fits.

Now, I figured the odds of me shaving a few hundredths off the edge of a dado – and doing it reliably – were pretty thin. That had me stuck for about a week. I finally decided to set my plunge circular saw to 1/4” depth, line up the rail guide with the edge of each dado, and use the width of the adjoining piece to set it in place at each end & trim the right amount off each dado. THAT was slow work and I’m sure the experienced jocks here could recommend a better way, but it worked.

Finally, after cutting holes for the electrical, I test-fit the carcass with clamps to check how everything fit before the actual glue-up. That was when I found out that my dado set had somehow slipped a bit and cut a few of the dado’s 1/16th or so too shallow. Jeez! I made another trip to the table saw to trim down the adjoining shelves and supports. There was no way I was going to go back & make those dado’s deeper!

Now for the fun part – everything fit nicely so I added pocket holes and glued & screwed everything together. I would have just used glue but the pocket-holes greatly simplified the task of keeping everything lined up and let me start another glue-up as soon as the screws were in place to hold the glue-up I’d just completed. I left the back off for now to make it easier to paint the central chamber. Here’s how it looks – everything is finally nice & square:

The funny-shaped extra hole in the side of the central chamber are to pass through the flexible shaft on my Woodpecker Sidewinder router plate. The shelf part-way up the chamber has a hole in the center for the router and router lift to pass through. My plan is to use that sill to attach sound-deadening and dust collection baffles.

The final fit on the dados was worth the extra time it took:

Thanks for looking.

-- "I'm not afraid of heights. I'm afraid of widths." - Steven Wright



3 comments so far

View David 's profile

David

81 posts in 1136 days


#1 posted 1027 days ago

Looking good. if i ever get my shop up off the ground I will be looking at everyone’s ideals.

-- David, Center,Texas

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

13335 posts in 2175 days


#2 posted 1027 days ago

Looks good, cant wait to see the finish project.

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View Paul Stoops's profile

Paul Stoops

318 posts in 1063 days


#3 posted 1026 days ago

Nice work! Look forward to seeing the finished project. You did a good job of describing your challenges and the fixes for them. I’ve yet to have a project that didn’t require some tweaking—especially when dealing with the tolerances of plywood sheets and dadoes. Good job!

-- Paul, Auburn, WA

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase