LumberJocks

The Coolidge Chronicles #21: Part 5 - 1952 Delta Multiplex 40-B 12"-14" Radial Arm Saw Rebuild

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by darthford posted 01-19-2014 11:18 PM 988 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 20: Part 4 - 1952 Delta Multiplex 40-B 12"-14" Radial Arm Saw Rebuild Part 21 of The Coolidge Chronicles series Part 22: Part 6 - 1952 Delta Multiplex 40-B 12"-14" Radial Arm Saw Rebuild »

Heck yeah its time to put this beast back together.

Here’s the crank assembly for raising/lowering the saw on the column. I pressed new roller bearings into that cast iron piece (I can’t believe how often I’m using that cheap Harbor Freight hydraulic press I griped about buying thinking I’d only use it once) and purchased new made in USA thrust bearings as well. I painted most of that disgusting crank shaft grey, I swear that thing was half rusted when they gooped primer on it at the factory, I threw it on my lathe and cleaned it up a bit.

Here it is assembled and ready to install.

Installed and greased. I elected not to paint the remaining bare metal of the crank shaft just in case this ever needs to be removed again, its a tight fight and I would not want to beat it out of there like I had to the first time. I hit the bare metal with some Boeshield and called it good.

Here it is from the top side bolted now to the stand.

Its so nice and shiny clean

Goooooooop I packed it in grease. This ACME screw is not accessible once the saw is assembled so there’s no way to routinely lubricate this thing so I packed it with about 50 years worth of grease.

Here’s the upper half of the column and the ACEM nut.

I packed the nut with grease also.

You may have noticed by now I’m using new stainless bolts, nuts, and screws. I would have had to replace some of the beat up original hardware and de-rust clean/paint the rest I said the heck with it and just purchased new stainless. Yeah it got expensive I’m not sure I’d do it again when I can get grade 8 for $4 a pound.

I purchased new hex socket set screws and jam nuts for the column replacing the original giant flat scew driver type set screws and beat up jam nuts. Anti-seize love that stuff, also gave these a coat of Boeshield. Here in the pacific northwest of Washington state we get a lot of rain and stuff likes to rust that’s why. ;-)

Here’s a shot from the back of the column installed. For the upper and lower column I used way oil I have on hand for my metal lathe, its heavy like 68 weight but designed not to get sticky.

Here it is from the front. I only have the set scews snug but still the column moves with no effort, I don’t even need the crank handle you can just grab the shaft and spin it. I think its well lubed lol.

That’s all for now, off camera I cut the 4 precision ground 1/4 inch rods to size and have installed two of them already but its time to take a break and head over to Famous Daves BBQ for some sirloin tri-tips, stay tuned I’ll get back to it after lunch!



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase