LumberJocks

The Coolidge Chronicles #18: Part 2 - 1952 Delta Multiplex 40-B 12"-14" Radial Arm Saw Rebuild

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by darthford posted 222 days ago 980 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 17: Part 1 - 1952 Delta Multiplex 40-B 12"-14" Radial Arm Saw Rebuild Part 18 of The Coolidge Chronicles series Part 19: Part 3 - 1952 Delta Multiplex 40-B 12"-14" Radial Arm Saw Rebuild »

In part 2 I didn’t get a lot done but what I did get done was important. Today I needed to repaint the motor black. I had asked the motor shop to paint it black after they sand blasted the housing so naturally they painted it grey. (face palm).

The motor also had about a 4 gauge cord attached to it for some strange reason. Someone went so far as to remove the cord strain reliefs from the motor, arm, and column so they could fish that giant cord through the holes. I removed that cord and installed the proper 1/2” strain reliefs for a 12 gauge cord.

Everything was going to plan until I noticed the brass bushing on the side of the motor that holds that side of the 51 pound motor up was loose. You could just rock it up and down and in/out a little. I grabbed the pin that fits in that bushing and it was loose on the ID also. You can’t have one side of the motor slopping around and achieve accuracy so I decided this bushing needed to be replaced.

I checked the hardware store but this bushing was an odd size .686 ID and .815 OD and they had nothing even
close so I picked up a piece of brass pipe instead.

Here you see the finished bushing, it came out great…on the third try LOL. I overshot on the ID twice and had to part off and start over. It got a little heated in the shop. On the bright side this proved my decision to purchase the DRO for the lathe was correct, it eliminates this trial and error nonsense.

Now with the bushing finished the only problem was the bore in the motor housing was rather out of round. It varied from about .810 to .819. You could see on the old bushing where the factory (or someone) filed the bushing to fit the poorly machined hole in the motor. Instead I turned the bushing to .818 and used a Dremel to fix the bore in the motor housing. Its a nice fit, tapped in with a dead blow hammer, not too tight not too loose just right.

Here fitting the pin required a few minutes work. I wanted this to fit tight but it still has to turn and it was a bit too snug. A bit of 400 grit on the pin and some oil and I got the nice snug fit, just enough resistance and the slop is gone!

With that finally I was able to paint the motor black. Next up in part 3 fix that track micro adjuster with the busted gear by making a hole new part out of a 3/4 inch grade 5 bolt and brazing on the replacement gear.



1 comment so far

View Kaleb the Swede's profile

Kaleb the Swede

1105 posts in 596 days


#1 posted 221 days ago

Really cool. I love watching machine builds. I like seeing how people machine things too. Something of which I have no experience at all. Should be a fun blog

-- Just trying to build something beautiful

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase