I picked up this 1952 Delta RAS off craigslist impressed with the amount of cast iron and design for cross cutting long boards. I looked at modern sliding miter saws but saw too many complaints about quality and inconsistency. I need a crosscut saw that cuts straight on the first try every time and if this several hundred pound beast can’t do that nothing can.
Well…rebuilding it turned out to be a LOT more work than I thought. It needed a few hundred dollars worth of work to the motor, bearings, electronic starter, capacitor, and since I was in that far already I went ahead and had the windings soaked and baked and the motor which itself is cast iron sand blasted and painted. I’ll have to paint it over but that’s another story.
Here’s the first pic, doesn’t look too bad from a distance. I thought meh a good cleaning, a few new bearings maybe some paint and I’d be good to go, it wasn’t to be the case.
Lets take a closer look…ugh rust!
And more rust
And the hits just kept coming, that’s one of the 4 nitralloy precision ground rods the carriage bearings ride on doh!
Yes rust just about everywhere
Look at this thing, I had to take measures!
I give you the rust destroyer a product call Evapo-Rust wow it saved my butt on this project. Take a look at the after picture, all I did was soak it over night and rinse with Simple Green under the faucet wow!
It took a while to cycle all the parts through my gallon of Evapo-Rust. What I found was Delta assembled this saw ‘then’ painted it so every bare metal internal surface wasn’t protected and has been rusting the last 61 years. I elected to tape off the contact surfaces and paint every last remaining surface to avoid this happening again, underside of the castings included. Here’s a group shot from tonight, I’m about ready to begin re-assembly.
Here’s a close up
V-grooved and ready for aluminum brazing
The Bernzomatic aluminum brazing rods worked quite well.
I elected to leave a bit more of the brazing material for strength vs grinding it perfectly flat. This will be painted black in any case.
There is a 2nd internal 1-1/2 inch arbor nut on the motor, I finally found a socket big enough but the OD was too big so I chucked it in the new metal lathe and presto!
That’s it for part 1. Just about everything is painted now and I have all the new parts in, carriage bearings, needle bearings, thrust bearings, 4 hardened precision ground 1/4” rods for the carriage ways and a new gear. There was one internal component with a gear that was broken and I’m going to have to machine a new one on the lathe.