In part 2 I complete the cleaning and assembly, lets get to it.
Here’s the bent 90 degree stop bolt, the new grade 8 bolt won’t bend I guarantee it!
Taiwan drops the ball again, the posts for the depth stop rod were not even hand tight so I had to remove the rear cover plate from the column to tighten them.
Here’s a close-up of the nut.
I decided to grease the gear while I had the cover off the column, any excuse to use this cordless grease gun its awesome!
That’s some of the ugliest half dried cosmoline I have seen in years, it took quite a bit of scrubbing with brake cleaner to remove it.
Clean and assembly complete without any further mechanical issues, I did find a wart under the cosmoline though. By the way I tilted the head full over and tested the machine danger of tipping, even with moderate pushing sideways it was not about to tip over so that’s good!
Closer in its nice and shiny but do you see the wart on the fence?
Here’s the back.
Here’s the wart, I have no clue what that is, casting defect or got hit with a torch or something. Does not effect use of the tool at all but for $1,000 it shouldn’t be there.
Finally here’s a gut shot from underneath. See that shiny chrome handled on the left wheel, see the ugly plastic handle on the right wheel…I purchase the chrome handles for the bandsaw but that idea didn’t pan out due to the cast iron wheels I purchased but they fit the 2 smaller hand wheels on the mortiser so I attached them. I’ll order up the larger 3/8 handle for the large wheel and get rid of the plastic handle.
That’s all for now, the next news on this mortiser will be a review after I put it to use.